Major quesitons...major decisions...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by silverstar, May 17, 2006.

1. Billy B

Billy B Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2004
    Des Moines, IA
    Mr. Sandy??? Who the hell is that?!?!

Lara,

For God's sake lighten up. You are not locking in your routine for the rest of your life.

2. NickD

NickD Forte User

Be cool!

Lara! You're going to be fine!!!

When I graduated from high school, I had never played in a big band, couldn't play a lick of jazz, and couldn’t hit a high C, just above the staff. I could play Mendez solos - lots of fast technical stuff, but that was it. I discovered jazz in college via Doc Severinsen and Clark Terry. The I discovered Maynard. So I learned how to really play trumpet, on the side while completing a degree in electrical engineering on the coop program at Washington University in St. Louis. I never intended to be serious about my music because my dad I thought I was nuts to want to pursue music. He meant well, but he pushed me into engineering.

I worked for two years as a junior design engineer at Motorola and then quit to go on the road with some misc. road rat bands. I ended up doing serious road time in 1981. I came home to start a free-lance commercial sideman career - career number two and I was only 27.

I worked as a sideman for a couple of years and then opened a music contracting business - wedding band leader/contractor. This was career number three by the time I was in my late twenties.

Contracting for wedding bands came very close to utterly destroying my trumpet playing (a long story, worthy of another article). I enrolled in grad school in my late 30's to get my music masters. Upon completion of my MM, I closed my business and went back to being a sideman.

I knew this would decimate my income indefinitely, but it was the only way I could rebuild my trumpet playing. So, I decided to get a teaching certificate. I felt I could handle a day gig if it was as a school teacher. This would not conflict significantly with my playing schedule. So I became a high school teacher (career number four!) and a free-lance sideman and jazz soloist by night. The jazz work, for all practical purposes constituted the development of career number five!

As far as I concerned, I feel strongly that I am on the verge of some significant new developments in my music career.

I short, I can't make up my mind what I want to do when I grow up, so I am going to be as flexible as possible within the parameters of my responsibilities to my families needs.

Lara, you really should strive to develop a sense of peace about this. As a teacher and parent I fully understand the emotion you shared with your folks the other night, but that's just fear creeping in. There's nothing to be afraid of! Just be yourself in whatever it is you choose to do and realize that you can always change and try something else later.

OK, that's enough pontification on my part. I am sincere in telling this story to help feel OK about being a bit unsure at this point, Lara. That's pretty normal! You've got you whole life ahead of you. Enjoy it.

Peace.

Nick Drozdoff

3. Joe DiMonte

Joe DiMonte Mezzo Forte User

Apr 30, 2006
    Pittsburgh,Pa
    For example....
    My father is a lobsterman back home in Maine. He didn't go to college for that...that's for sure...and if he did, he wouldn't have gone to a lobster fishing school in Utah....get the point?

Dear Matt:
    A friend of a friend whose father is a lobsterman and a polygamist moved to UTAH where fishing is a way of life,if you know what I mean.

4. Joe DiMonte

Apr 30, 2006
    Pittsburgh,Pa

5. R.A.S.

R.A.S. Pianissimo User

Oct 13, 2004
    Woodbury, Minnesota
    Lara
    Is Mr. Sandy "Brett Sandy", who graduated from Indianola High School?
    Good lead player!
    Is he directing Iowa's jazz program now?

6. Joe DiMonte

Apr 30, 2006
    Pittsburgh,Pa
    Re: Be cool!

Lara:
    I hope by this time you had the opportunity to review all the responses,which should be considered as straight talk.
    To amplify and paraphrase Nick's responses,don't get flustered.

Although music is your first love,it may not necessary be the best for your career path.
    As a prospective College student,I strongly recommend you visit the Bureau Of Labor Statistics Home Page www.bls.gov , click on "Occupations."
    and take a hard look at the outlook of future job careers,then,with Body,Mind and Soul decide if Music is your calling,so to speak.

If as an example,you consider Nursing,you would be surprise to learn that most States are now offering GRANTS with some stipulation (remain in-state for X years).
    On the bright side,this recently retired "Baby Boomer" would never complain upon hearing you play "The Flight Of The Bumble Bee" before,during,and after meals/medication :D

Good luck in your future endeavors and Walk Tall !
    Papa Joe

7. silverstar

silverstar Mezzo Forte User

Jan 6, 2005
    Thank you everyone. I don't mean to sound frantic or anything...I'm not used to doing stuff without having some kind of plan to follow. This whole being 'uncertain' is something new to me, and I really am having a tough time with it. I'll get used to it though....I mean, we are made to adapt.

The other factor in my sounding frantic is the money factor. My parents put me in charge of all my finances (ok, most of them...) and money is something that has always stressed me out. I don't like dealing with it. (I like making it though! lol. Yay for my job.) On top of that, worrying about paying for college and taking out a loan and paying it back once I get out of school....it just freaks me out.

I'll try to 'lighten up', as suggested...I don't know how, but I'll try.

Yes, Mr. Sandy is Brett Sandy. I don't know where he graduated from, but I'm assuming that's him. He worked with my jazz band at the U of I Latin Jazz workshop in...gosh....I think it was February this year...it was a lot of fun doing call and response stuff with him and the band. I know that he's part of Iowa's jazz program, I don't know about the directing part. Sorry if I didn't answer your question!

Lara

8. beartrumpet74

beartrumpet74 Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2006
    Joe
    - Think I get it!?!
    ROFL

Peace
    Matt

9. Billy B

Billy B Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2004
    Des Moines, IA
    That is Brent Sandy, my cohort in Orquesta Alto Maiz. Not sure about the "Mr." part. I usually just call him BS.

10. silverstar

silverstar Mezzo Forte User

Jan 6, 2005
    Oh. I've been brought up to call adults by "Mr." "Ms." or "Mrs." It's an automatic thing...

Lara