Major Scales Memorization?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bhavjain, Sep 6, 2014.

1. bhavjain

bhavjain New Friend

Jun 7, 2014
    Hey Guys,

Does anyone know of any neat memory tricks on how to memorize major scales fingerings for Trumpet? I'm currently learning ALL my major scales, and need some help with it other than the classic "keep playing them." Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

2. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I use a couple of tricks for myself, the Clarke excercises (second excercise) I find take some of the "fear" out of the key signiture because you tend to be able to use your instinct to play the right notes. Obviously the "Just go through them" is a way forward.

You could once you are somewhere near with them use flash cards to give you a scale name to do without getting into a routine of just going through them one after the other.

For me okay I practice scales but it is almost about instinct hearing the next note and playing it. To paraphrase the Bob Newhart that is going on on here the best way to learn scales is

get this

Write it down

"Do It"

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    :?::?::?::?::?: You mean keep playing them doesn't work? ;-)

4. Honkie

Honkie Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2013
    I think playing scales at the piano can teach you to visualize them in an intuitive way. You don't have to become a PianoMaster, just know what the scales look like. Thankfully, there's only 12 of 'em.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    That's odd as I count 15 vis 7 sharp and 7 flats plus one with neither sharps nor flats. Just don't ask me to play F# and C# Major on my Bb trumpet ...! Where's a C trumpet?

6. cfkid

cfkid Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2013
    There are three that overlap (C# and Db for example). There are only 12 majors.

7. Honkie

Honkie Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2013
    My theory is that "difficult keys" are just unfamiliar keys -- the difficulty is in the brain.

And if there are keys that are difficult for the trumpet, it's not necessarily the ones that with more sharps or flats. For example, I find D major (2 sharps) much harder than E major (4 sharps), it does not sit so well under the fingers. The B - C# - D below the staff is awkward.

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    As stated I can't play the concert key of C# (7 sharps) on a Bb trumpet, and my Db Major (5 flats) music for Bb trumpet looks as if I were playing in concert key of Eb Major (3 flats). Pertinent, is the key pitch of a song is always given in the concert key so that all instruments in the orchestra speak the same language.

I don't have much trouble with a concert B below the staff as becomes a C# on my Bb trumpet but I admit my transition to all 3 valves often gets squirrelly.

9. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    However you learn them theoretically, when it comes to playing them, play them slowly, relaxed and error-free. Thinking that, "well, they'll clean themselves up later if I just keep blasting my way through them" is not productive. You are also teaching your muscles what they should be doing. Teach them mistakes and that's what they'll remember. And vice-versa. "Garbage in, garbage out."

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Hate to be the one to break this to you but muscle memory reigns supreme.