Major Scales Memorization?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bhavjain, Sep 6, 2014.

1. tjcombo

tjcombo Mezzo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    I know what you mean Ted. I'm more likely to trip up on a "simple" scale like Bb when rattling through all scales. It's as if your (whoops, I should say "one's" to avoid confusion :-)) conscious mind tries to take control and can't keep up the pace.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Yesterday I just blew away a director and his students at a jazz arts studio I was asked to play at to demonstrate listening skills for jazz improvisation as a guest artist. They asked me for songs I wanted to play, and I turned it around by saying, you give me the songs you want me to play and let's do them. So we did about 8 songs from several Real Books that I transposed from the CBook and played totally unrehearsed. We performed flawlessly. We were all seasoned pros backing me up. How did we do this? I just looked at the changes on the pages, moved them up a whole step and played. Patterns. Didn't think of the notes in the scales. Just patterns. My fingers did the thinking. If I would have used my brain, the session would have sucked.

3. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    why a half step?? Isn't Bb to C a whole step?

4. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Do you see what happens when I can't physically edit his posts? I was thinking the same exact thing..but I'm too polite to say anything.......:cool:

5. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Maybe he just plays way sharp and only has to transpose a half step to play in tune?

6. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    It was a test for the Backing crew - Gary plays - it is up to the backing team of be in tune with HIM!!!

- of course only joking. Typos we can forgive - remember he told us he does not use the Brain - ;-)

7. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    Patterns and memory are great if you have them to draw upon. If you are not well versed in this, here is a strategy you can try . . .

Pretty much everyone has memorized the order of sharps and flats with the infamous 7 word reversible sentence (hopefully:oops:).

If, for example, you are suddenly faced with playing in five sharps. Say quickly to yourself, "Father Charles Goes Down And." Then think, "OK, only E's and B's are natural." Then play everything sharp except E's and B's. And watch out for accidentals. Not the best method, but it might get you out of a pinch.

Then go home and practice your scales!

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Keep playing them. Seriously - just keep working on them and you'll be surprised at how quickly they come together and you just know them. Start tonight and work them EVERY DAY.

A few years ago, I decided to finally learn my scales - I mean, really LEARN all of them, not just the ones that came easy. I made a pact with myself to be able to play all of my major and natural minors both ascending and descending. I believe it's important that descending is considered because although they are the same scales, the patterns are different.

I also practiced them going around the flat side of the circle of 5ths, C - F - Bb - Eb - Ab, etc

I started every practice session with my scales going around the circle of 5ths. Initially it was only ascending majors. Then I added a cycle ascending and descending. Once I got those, I started to incorporate minors. I was about 40, having played trumpet for the better part of 30 years before I finally decided to really dig in and learn them. Now they are a regular part of my practice, and I use them as a warm up most days.

There really isn't a trick. Do them - over and over and over. Repetition really is the key IMO. If you mess up, go back and do the scale you messed up on until you get it right. Your fingers will eventually learn where to go.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Oops... Yes it is a whole step. It was transposed a whole step. You beat BigDub to the punch. BigDub is slipping.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Oh I was way sharp all right... You shoulda seen the hipster shirt and baggy pants I was wearing at the time!