Majority of vibration from top or bottom

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by kctrump, Feb 9, 2006.

1. kctrump

kctrump New Friend

Nov 6, 2005
    Being a comeback player I'm not sure of much, but realize my previous method of playing involved large amounts of mouthpiece pressure. I've been back at it for a number of years now and have tried a number of quick fixes. I had the pleasure of hearing Manny play a few years ago and let me say....get out to hear him if you can. Just listening to him will improve your playing.

My question is...I've had the pleasure of getting a lesson from a great chop doc and he's got me moving in the right direction, but over the last couple weeks I've ran into this situation. I can easily blow a top line G at ppp. I notice the majority of the vibration coming from my top lip. When I am required to play FF or higher I notice the majority of my vibration coming from my bottom lip. I'm thinking...my old way of playing involved lots of mouthpiece pressure and majority of lip vibration coming from the bottom lip. My current way is more top lip vibration with much less pressure. I'm assuming continued practice with less pressure using more support will keep my chops set and playing easy. Do you recommend any exercises to assist me in this?

I hope I made this clear but I will expand if nessesary.

Thanks,
    :D
    KCTrump

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    As is my usual way, I would orient my thinking towards the clarity of the sound that is created by the process. It sounds like what you're looking for is a nice balance between releasing the air in a relaxed fashion and stabilizing your embouchure.

If you have struck that nice balance of beauty and a free sound with a free approach I'd say keep doing what you're doing and enjoy the vibrant quality of your tone and eventually you'll focus less on the vibrations of the lips.

ML