making a Bach more Bachy

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by sleight, Jun 10, 2010.

1. ca5tr0

ca5tr0 New Friend

Feb 28, 2010
    Florida
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! TRICKG

My first "professional" horn was a Bach Strad 37 bell. Used it for marching band. Well oddly once it started getting really damp here in Florida during the fall, that it wouldn't perform well anymore. My high c's would come out horribly. The horn wouldn't respond when it was very humid outside. It caused me an embarrassment in front of a packed stadium. i went to play my solo that went up to a high E and it wouldn't play. I was so disappointed. When I got home that night the house humidity level was very very low. I played my solo and the horn played amazing. I went out side my house and played a little bit and then tried my solo again. Guess what, it wouldn't respond.

Solution to the problem:
    Went and convinced my dad it was time for a new horn. Purchased a Schilke X3. With two weeks worth of heavy duty slurs and long tone exercises I adapted to the huge bore of the X3. Went to districts and played my solo very well with my new Schilke. I love Schilke. I still have my Bach, but I won't be using that outside. I'd like to save myself some embarrassment .

2. sleight

sleight New Friend

May 20, 2010
    I've played two Mt Vernon Bachs and both times they impressed me with the richness and density of the sound, the easy response, and the way it just slides up to top C with so little effort. I've done this on a Schilke too but its sound did not have quite the depth and richness. Can the modern Bachs be worked on to be more like this?

3. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    I have a problem believing that a trumpet, any trumpet, has a sound that will work from player to player. I had a NY Bach that was played by many friends......... the horn did what they wanted and sounded different each time a different player picked it up. A trumpet is a chunk of metal until it is played:play:
    Wilmer

4. Adela

Adela New Friend

Jun 11, 2010
    I have a project for school on bach flower remedies, and I need to know what is most commonly used in the creation of them, other than the actual flowers..

5. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

I have never seen a Bach that couldn't be turned in to a gem. It is a matter of how much money you want to spend. I have a friend who can do this but he is only doing it to horns that we can sell. You do not have to buy any new parts in order to do it.

We do take trade ins for the horns. Sorry that this sounds like it is an ad but it is the only way I can think of to get the information out.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  6. trumpetjump

trumpetjump New Friend

Mar 5, 2010
    PA
    I've never heard, or even conceived, of the "Fair Weather Horn Model", but I have heard that "clams" thrive in humid, wet conditions.
    My Bach Strad Model 37 did just fine in the 1977 Orange Bowl Parade, the first ever held in a steady rain. Our purple Ostrich feather plums did not fair so well, though, as all the dye ended up on our white leather overlays. We still looked better, in the end, than K.C., of The Sunshine Band, who was that year's Master of Ceremonies. I'm sure his recollections of that night aren't nearly as clear as mine.
    Seriously, though, I played my Bach in every different type of weather condition and never felt that climate effected the way it performed.
    Some of the theories proposed on this forum make me absolutely giddy!!

7. Kayin

Kayin Pianissimo User

May 30, 2010
    Actually, it could have been a reaction of the valve oil to the humidity. Wouldn't affect the new horn if it came from the factory with a different oil on it.

8. gglassmeyer

gglassmeyer Piano User

Apr 28, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    trickg, I never said they were better than those other custom makers. I was comparing how Bachs were made in the Mt. Vernon era vs. curent production. The current custom horn makers do the same thing, take pride in each horn made to ensure a quality product. The old Bachs were inconsistent too, but there was a lot more attention given to each horn and therefore a higher percentage of exceptional quality horn.

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    The point I was trying to make is that it would probably be easier to achieve the goal by simply investing in one of the horns I listed rather than trying to to turn a sow's ear into a silk purse.

10. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    So not having consistancy is "Sporting?" ROFL I still love Bachs, but consistancy is nice lol