Making Breath Marks

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rockwell, Jun 3, 2013.

1. rockwell

rockwell Pianissimo User

Dec 6, 2011
    I'm a rank amateur with questions about breathing. Do you mark the chart if it is a piece of music that is unfamiliar to you? If you do mark the chart for breaths, what are some guidelines you use for where to put the mark other than the number of bars or notes preceding the mark? Thank you.

2. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I don't mark it because I won't know until after I've played the piece for a while where I need to breathe.

Depending on the piece, your section may not want to breathe all in the same place but rather stagger your breathing.

Tom

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    If it is unfamiliar, it is almost impossible to mark breaths in advance unless it has nothing but simplistic 4 or 8 bar phrases. When complicated, there exist phrases within phrases, which I'll mark with brackets, but not necessarily breathe at those. If there is a long phrase I'll write "BFB!" before it.

4. Juarez-MA

Juarez-MA Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2012
    My explanation may be long or short.
    Technically, I play trumpet like everyone else here. Stylistically, I have...rules?...I follow no matter what instrument I'm performing on.
    Marcel Tabuteau was a legendary French oboist in the US. This was a period of time where there wasn't as much talent in young students as today; even in the colleges, there weren't established professors for each instrument. Tabuteau was esteemed for his craftsmanship of beautiful music; a fact of which he wasn't fond of. There are stories of Tabuteau going on basically about how talent is overrated and that he wasn't trying to play beautiful; in short, that he wasn't putting himself into the music, rather bringing out what the composer wanted. His tact was very specific.
    To achieve this, he used a complex number system that indicated different things depending on the use of the numbers- this could included the relative importance between the notes in the passage, the relative dynamic of each note in a passage, the delineation of themes, note grouping, etc.
    David McGill (principal bassoonist of CSO) is a not so distant relative student of Tabuteau. McGill put together a book, titled Sound in Motion, in which McGill explains how he interprets and uses Tabuteau's teachings.
    I read said book and suddenly many things my past directors and teachers made sense- I even considered that my past mentors had shallow but still worthy reasons for some of their instructions. I know your question was simply about breathing but to make informed decisions about where to breathe, it's important to know the music. Not just that,the best spots to breathe will uncover themselves when you know how your music works.

5. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    When the music looks like requiring breath marks I put dummy lyrics to it and phrase according to those lyrics.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    That works fine and even better when there is proper punctuation to the lyrics. They can also be a guide to volume, accents and articulations.

7. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    +1
    except I write BB at the spot before it. I am not as Vulgar as Vulgano Bro.

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The "F" stands for "full." ;-)

9. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Closer to "full of...".

Not that I would know anything about that myself....

Tom

10. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    I knew that!