Making Funny Sounds

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gsmonks, Oct 15, 2009.

1. gsmonks

gsmonks Piano User

I've been making funny noises on brass instruments since I was a kid. It wasn't exactly spontaneous- lots of pros used to make the occasional funny sound, like horse whinneys and so on. The guy in Spike Jones' band may have been my original inspiration.

I did it in high school a lot because a) it would keep us amused while the woodwinds were going over and over and over and over stuff, and b) because we'd come up with new stuff and try to copy it.

I recently discovered that I could play "backwards", which has been a mite hilarious.

Anybody else got any goodies they'd like to share?

2. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    do the horse!

3. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    I recorded some Halloween music for a friend and part of it was making the most bizzare sound I could make. Speaks, squeals, pedals, rips...fun stuff. Sounded cool on the CD too.

4. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
  5. gsmonks

gsmonks Piano User

Y'know . . . I wonder if this guy predates Nick LaRocca (not sure if I've got either his name or spelling right), the redneck who led the Original Dixieland Jazz Band in the 1920's or so, maybe earlier. Or maybe this guy codified what others were doing?

Hey, the history of making funny noises on cornets and trumpet! Important stuff!

6. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    In our recent concert rendition of PDQ Bach's "Suite for an Awful lot of Winds and Percussion" one of the movements has the trumpets playing their parts on mouthpiece only and during the movement, the saxes and clarinets do likewise. Sounded like a kazoo band in spots.:lol:

7. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    The book does not seem to have a copyright or publication date, but from other sources it appears that "The Novelty Cornetist" was published in 1923. Panico was well known for his playing on "Wabash Blues". The Isham Jones Orchestra, of which Panico was a member, recorded that song in 1921 - and it became a top seller.