"making popcorn"

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ckkphoto, Nov 6, 2015.

1. ckkphoto

ckkphoto Pianissimo User

Jan 31, 2013
    Northwest Georgia
    So I have been practicing increasingly on my Jaeger E. flat trumpet. Very happy with that but had noticed a problem that I think he is more related to myself than the trumpet. My daughter called it "making popcorn". Essentially spit is collecting past the first water slide and a third water slide and making a popping sound that can only be cleared by blowing hard on the horn so that the extra water comes out of the bell. Unfortunately, this makes a loud whistling noise and so I would never do it if playing a performance. This is a little concerning to me because I play the trumpet for church with some regularity. I do not know why this has started to happen. I am not having this problem on the Bb or the C trumpet. :-o

2. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    I would expect that you have dirt collected around the main slide water key. Remove the slide, unscrew the water key cap (careful there is a spring under the cap), snake out the slide, and clean out the drainage hole.

Or, in a pinch, remove the first slide hold the trumpet up and blow through the trumpet, holding the first valve down.

edfitzvb likes this.
  3. ckkphoto

ckkphoto Pianissimo User

Jan 31, 2013
    Northwest Georgia
    That seems to have been it. The first valve water key was plugged and when I practiced after clearing it did not have the problem at all. Thanks Ivan! Never had experience before now with Amado water keys. :duh:
    :-)