Making up your own practice exercises

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Dec 27, 2012.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I am sure this is in someones trumpet book but I was dinging around today and wasn't really happy with my double tonguing attack on a major second interval Tu (root) - Ku ( Maj 2) .... so I proceeded to play them in sixtenths ... starting on the low F# ( F#-G#-F#-G# etc for about 6-8 measures) ... then did the same thing a half step higher .... kept moving up a half step after each "rep" until I couldn't. Such a simple exercises was a brutal work out. It also seems pretty effective for finger dexterity and timing between the tongue and fingers.
    I have tried similar ones double tonguing different intervals ... not sure if this is over working or a poor use of time .. to me it seems effective..
    comments on this or perhaps some exercises you may have made up?

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Many of the best exercises may be simple, but that doesn't mean that they are easy. Once the major second gets easy, try minor thirds and keep expanding--that is how Vizzutti did it.

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I was working on the minor third slurred awhile back and found the finger combinations a monster to do repeatedly ...