Making your own valve oil

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by Jimi Michiel, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    I guess this question is mostly for Robert, but maybe there are others out there who also make their own valve oil:

Basically, how do you do it? I don't have a chemistry degree, but I would like to try making some valve oil for my own personal use. Do you have any resources you can point my way?

Thanks,
    Jimi

2. Cornet1

Cornet1 Pianissimo User

May 22, 2005
    Essex, England
    When I was a small boy in the late 1950's many brass bands had a supply of oil readilly available in the bandroom for everybody to use as needed and to refill their own bottles from. In our bandroom this was 'best quality lamp oil' and cost in the order of pennies (old pennies too!) per pint bottle.

This was the era when plastic was still in the 'emergent' phase and many of the bandsmen had glass valve oil bottles which they refilled as described. All their bottles had metal lids with an attached brush to carefully apply a thin coat of oil to the valve surfaces. This system worked well and these men were intelligent lubricators being for the most part craftsment in a local factory. I can actually remember when plastic bottles became available and the digust of the older men with the inadequacies of the spouts! Yet another instance of modern convenience supplanting a better method!

3. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    3 parts lamp oil, 1 part 3-in-1.

4. Annie

Annie Piano User

Nov 13, 2003
    What's 3 in 1?

5. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/jsearch/product.jsp?pn=111310

It is a type of oil, you could also use sewing machine oil in place of 3 in one oil.

I made my own valve oil for a year or so, it makes the fastest valve oil I have ever seen but it does evaporate. I had to oil my valves everyday!

Also, if you forget your homemade oil on a gig and have to mix with other valve oil you could have problems.

6. Annie

Annie Piano User

Nov 13, 2003
    Thank you!

7. upoils

upoils Pianissimo User

Aug 1, 2005
    Philomath, Oregon
    When you are tired of making your own oil and frustrated with the odor and the fast evaporation, you can order some real valve oil from us!

-Ken (owner, Ultra-Pure Oils, a proud sponsor of trumpetmaster.com)

8. felix c

felix c Pianissimo User

Dec 5, 2003
    Puerto Rico
    Well Well:
    For the last 2 years,
    I have mixed some oils in a proportion that I like a lot. The results no odor, light color and long lasting. I like to oil the horn every day. But with this mix I only have to apply 4 drops per valve one in every side of the valve guide and 2 other in the valve, every 4 days. Puerto Rico climate its hot all time always over 90 degress and works well for me. My horn its Kanstul Chicago. Its a closer tolerance horn with Nylon valve guides. The price If I gonna sell the bottle like 5. dollars. I do not have interest to sell it. But I know other good oils that are great and does not last like mine. For the Ultra Pure oil. I wish to receive a sample. If better than Im using for me its no problem to change. With a small budget I have enought oil for 3 years using freely with no consideration of oil spill (Like 30 3OZ bottles). I also place it in the leadpipe and slides. I have reached it by trial and error and with a help of a Great Friend who is Chemical Engineer.

9. tolovemoon

tolovemoon New Friend

Mar 23, 2006
    south carolina
    I don't know if this was the best idea, I used WD40 twice, when I didnt have anything else. It didnt hurt my trumpet, though it did leave a bit of slime like residue thicker than the regular valve oil mixed with ya know saliva moisture. I had to wipe the valves down pretty good :-o
    The worse thing to use is cooking oil, vegetable oil is way too thick...Though for a quick fix when in need you could get a day of tolerance using it. The valves just get a little more slimy than usual... :shock: :?: :dontknow:

10. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    one word.... woah.