Malcolm McNab

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Schwab, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Schwab

Schwab Mezzo Piano User Staff Member

Feb 26, 2004
  2. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    A friend of mine played me bits from his old cassette tape recording of the Tch, and yes it is phenomenal! Maybe TM should invite him on as a guest one time. It would interesting to see what he has to say.

Out of curiosity, has anyone ever had a lesson with him?

3. Trum Peter

Trum Peter New Friend

Nov 16, 2007
    First of all, Exquisite is one of the greatest trumpet recordings of all time... hands down! The things Mr. McNab does on that recording are unbelievable! Can you tell that I'm a fan? I haven't had a lesson with him (a friend of mine studied with him for a while) but I did have a chance to hear him in a Masterclass at USC. He was a visiting clinician while Boyde was away. It was a great class. I took lots of notes and read them periodically to keep myself on the right track. He's really big into Stamp and explains Jimmy's methods very well and obviously applies them in his playing. It was a great night and well worth the parking money that night.

4. siarr

siarr Pianissimo User

May 18, 2007
    Hollywood, FL, USA
    It really is a jaw-droppingly incredible feat - and the other selections, though not as ambitious perhaps, are done with equal finesse and perfection. I believe he used a Bb on the Tchaik, anyone know for sure. I know he uses an Eb on a lot of his recording. I don't own the CD, so I haven't read the liner notes - any info on what horns he uses? Not that it matters, the way he plays!!!

Cheers,
    Chas

5. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    The CD is flat our ridiculous!

6. wilcox96

wilcox96 Mezzo Piano User

Oct 31, 2005
    charlotte nc
    There's a good bit of information about this recording on Mr McNab's web site:

Welcome to the Official Site of Trumpet Player, Malcolm McNab!

Peruse around. Great stuff.

As for the actual recording...it is simply stunning. From the sheer length of the pieces (an incredible feat of stamina, control and brilliance) to the technical wizardry to the amazing 6 octaves he plays (yes..."6". .... and it's not even the "high" stuff that is as amazing as him working down from the top range to the utter lip flapping a real note 6 octaves below. Incredible).

You just aren't supposed to be able to do this stuff. ha. One of the best examples of instrument mastery I've ever heard. I don't care if you are not a classical fan... "this" cd is worth "experiencing".

7. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Forget about Tasmin Little. Malcolm should do the Tch at the BBC Proms. NOw that is something i would pay to see.

8. Veldkamp

Veldkamp Piano User

Mar 29, 2004
    the Netherlands
    I bought the Tchaikovsky part from his website and studied it a bit this week. But it's very very hard to play. E major isn't the easiest scale when you have to play lot's of fast notes, intervals and slurs....

Studying the part really gives you and insight on the skills you have to have to play such a piece. Technically it's very hard, but you also need lot's of endurance.

9. Huggy Bear

Huggy Bear Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2007
    Berea, OH
    Hey there dudes....

Huggy Bear got this recording for Christmas last year. That dude is AMAZING!!!!! If he only had a Gold trumpet like Andy Mac then he could probably be my number 2 fave trumpet pimp. I'm especially down with the Zappa tune! And, the Broughton tune is great! The Tchiak gets all the pub because it's obviously off the hook, but the other tunes....the ones written for trumpet....are great. :thumbsup:

That's cool to hear that Mr. McNab also uses the Stamps method. That's what Mr. Michael Sachs (my favorite classical playa) uses.....so does our own Andy Mac! Now wonder he's SO good. That's the best method, you know!

Trum Peter.....cool name, by the way....could you write down some of your notes from Mr. Malcolm's class on this site? Huggy would be really down do see if they're like Mr. Sachs'. He has a whole book on how toplay the trumpet that has a lot of Stamping ideas in it.

Great topic, again, Schweebles! You make Huggy smile.....Fo' Shizzle!

Love,
    Huggy

10. kadleck

kadleck Artist in Residence Staff Member

Feb 28, 2006
    new york
    Who is Malcolm McNab?