Malcolm McNab

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Schwab, Jul 17, 2008.

1. siarr

siarr Pianissimo User

May 18, 2007
    Hollywood, FL, USA
    Yamaha Black Hole??? Excuse me? No offense, but I think you'd find some pretty good company beyond that particular event horizon. Besides, anyone in Malcolm's league would sound awesome on a Bundy. If Yamaha's a black hole, let it suck me in! Btw, I haven't had a chance to try B&S yet, but I hear good things. And of course, I'll always love Bach. That said, the Yammie Artists Series are really something special, IMHO.

Peace,
    Chas

2. Puffy A

Puffy A Pianissimo User

Jun 21, 2006
    Brooklyn
    Chas is right. Put the horn of your choice in his hands and there is a ridiculous chance he will sound amazing on it!

Arlo

3. DCB

DCB Pianissimo User

Mar 10, 2004
    N. Florida
    Notice the "JK" after the comment?

Peace

4. hubnub

hubnub Piano User

May 4, 2007
    Cleveland, OH

Isn't he a quarterback......

5. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    No! Most definitely a centre forward.ROFL

6. mazzrick

mazzrick Pianissimo User

Sep 16, 2005
    Berlin, Germany
    Ok, now here's my question... is this playable in a concert?

I've heard the CD and seen the sheet music to that Tchaikovsky violin concerto. It is without a doubt to me, the epitome of trumpet ability to be able to play that piece. To even be able to play one page of it would mean a whole hell of a lot for anyone. This is not diminishing of anything because it is so with most or all recordings, but it's clear that a lot of it is highly spliced together and he changes trumpets a good bit. That's fine though, because it's incredible that he's simply playing this stuff. Please don't anyone take this the wrong way but I just wonder if it's doable in a one shot concert type situation, even for him. Has it been performed?

Matt

7. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    McNab's website claims that it has...

8. siarr

siarr Pianissimo User

May 18, 2007
    Hollywood, FL, USA
    Ah, sorry - I'm not that blog-savvy - though JK were your initials. Anyway, there was no malice intended, just friendly banter. [​IMG]

Peace,
    Chas

9. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    And the Bach? No one has mentioned it. I wrote MM to ask who played second trumpet on the Bach and his response: "Unfortunately I could not find anyone who would work with me and I was forced to play both parts myself."

Now that's a feat. It is so seamless that I picture him playing two horns at once.

He was at West Point, btw, and it never ceases to impress me how many over-the-top artists began their post-high-school careers as military musicians.