Man, this INSANE high note is unreal, this can't be good for you health. Vid inside..

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet_man, Feb 3, 2008.

1. trumpet_man

trumpet_man Piano User

Jan 17, 2008
    Wyoming
    I found this vid one youtube of a guy playing a high note on the trumpet, he listed it as the G above a double high C, but I'm thinking it's the G above the triple high C. YouTube - TRIPLE G!!! This can't be good for your health. Is it a G above a double high C or triple high C, and I think he went to a G sharp. I've heard stories about jazz players going so high, that one of them ruined his lip for good (I'd never forgive myself if I did that) and another about a guy playing so high he punctured his brain and went crazy. I don't think attempting to go that high is a good idea. Anyway, however high that was, I think this guy has a good octive above the previos link: YouTube - Playing high on a trumpet However, I don't know if bugles can go higher than trumpets, this one certainly did. How high would you say the bugle on is? I think it is higher than the trumpet one.

Can any of you guys get close to that? That is insane, I never knew a trumpet could go that high.

2. trumpet_man

trumpet_man Piano User

Jan 17, 2008
    Wyoming
    Actually, I highly doubt the bugle one is real. It doesn't sound very real and he doesn't look like he is playing that high. It sounds like some sound board. The bugle one isn't real, is it? I wouldn't know but my guess is not. I think the trumpet one is real though.

3. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    There's an mp3 of Jim Manley playing a triple c you can download from the Bob Reeves website - not only did he actually do it, but he is a good player that sounds great in all registers! There's no sense in doing something if you don't sound good! I wish some of these people would figure that out before they post it for the world on youtube!
    Bob Reeves Brass Mouthpieces - Trumpet Videos and Testimonials

4. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

I can get squeaks like that, not very interesting if they're not musical though lol. I think that 2nd video is the gold standard of home YouTube videos, I tell you what. Looka that, he made the bed, and his sister (?) was sure to walk on through quickly, the exaggerated arm-swing shows she's trying to walk fast, see? And the guy's modest, he doesn't want to you know, get all egotistical and show too much of himself, I like that. I hope to make videos that good.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    so what? A high note with no musical content. Might as well turn on the hot water kettle.

If these guy would play some music up there, I might have been impressed.

It can serve as an example of what is possible without mashing the horn against your face. Those notes are impossible to play with pressure against your face!

6. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

LOLZ Rowuk that's what I was thinking, "Water's hot!".

I'm not sure if those really take more pressure, really, because I get 'em when I get a teeny air aperture in my lip, and I think, "that was funny", I'm not pushing super hard or anything.

But who knows, when the Evil Dr. Valsalva(tm) may be lurking!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    Re: Man, this INSANE high note is unreal, this can't be good for you health. Vid insi

man, Ive heard better sounding notes being squeezed out of a balloon. Was that even a g? It was so out of tune with everything he was playing below it. I guess when you put all your time into playing stupid notes like that it is no doubt that your lower / normal range flat out stinks.

8. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

Wow you said it, the balloon is a fine, fine instrument. And demonstration of how embouchure works. And great for sending cats, dogs, birds, little sisters, goldfish, statues, running!

9. trumpet_man

trumpet_man Piano User

Jan 17, 2008
    Wyoming
    So do you guys think the bugle one is real?

10. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    Re: Man, this INSANE high note is unreal, this can't be good for you health. Vid insi

No. If it is him making that sound he is probably just doing something completely different with his lips. It does seem a little sketchy that he is OFF camera.