Man, this INSANE high note is unreal, this can't be good for you health. Vid inside..

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet_man, Feb 3, 2008.

1. crazyandy88

crazyandy88 Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2007
    Fayetteville, AR
    Man that's rediculous. But as seems to be the theme...why play if it doesn't sound good? that's what's great about good high player (Maynard) is not only that they can scream but that their sound is big and full.

2. GetzenK700

GetzenK700 New Friend

Feb 7, 2006
    Hickory Hills, Illinois
    I kinda doubt he's actually playing that, but if he is, I don't see the big deal about it. So he can play high notes, it means nothing without musicianship. Musicality is key to music. Without it you just have noise.

3. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    See... thats nothing. People like Maynard Ferguson, Jon Faddis, Harry James, and many others Im sure (its almost 1am... i'm not going into detail) They could play musically in that upper register... in fact, here are some video clips of them actually doing it.

Jon Faddis - YouTube - Jon Faddis - Jazz Trumpet

Maynard Ferguson - (one of my favorites) YouTube - Maynard Ferguson Big Band - Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me I think he actually passes out at the end... he kind of freaks out

Harry James - YouTube - Harry James - Concert for Trumpet

Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  4. Jude

Jude Piano User

Dec 2, 2007
    Re: Man, this INSANE high note is unreal, this can't be good for you health. Vid insi

Adding to Patric's list: there's an mp3 file somewhere at Tom Hooton's forum with a piece he played at a church with absolutely beautiful high-register playing - it seems to float up and up with no hint of strain. Sounds almost like a flute - just pure, clear sound. (I don't have good luck with the search function - I hope the file is still there.)

Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  5. jazzmaster5500

jazzmaster5500 New Friend

Apr 28, 2007
    the bugle one is so fake and the trumpet one was sloppy like none other

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Anyone remember the recording Soaring by the Don Ellis Orchestra? Don played some of those squeaky super-high notes and lots, lots more.

7. Trumpeterswain

Trumpeterswain New Friend

Jan 22, 2007
    Seattle
    Re: Man, this INSANE high note is unreal, this can't be good for you health. Vid insi

I think it's possible to play higher, but then only the dogs in the neighborhood will hear you.

8. Ljazztrm

Ljazztrm Piano User

Nov 15, 2003
    Queens, NY

so what? A high note with no musical content. Might as well turn on the hot water kettle.

Ha ha! Good point Rowuk!

Hey Mr.Bernard, add this to your collection of non-tea kettle high note playing....I mean, WOW!

YouTube - Maynard Ferguson Maria

9. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California

Yes, that is also an amazing recording of Maynard