Man with a horn

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SteveRicks, Sep 13, 2011.

1. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Just saw Young Man with a Horn on TCM. Made in 1950 with Harry James playing the trumpet parts. Hoagie Carmichael was also in the movie. Some great playing there by Harry, who was dubbed in with Kirk Douglas playing the lead. I understand it was a take off on the short life of Bix B. (until his death-ending of movie got creative).

I kept trying to get a good look at the horn they used in the movie, but never could make out the make. It looked longer and more narrow than most horns today (shaped like a early Holton),no first saddle or ring, one brace on the leadpipe, and the cross braces resembled Olds. Any ideas?

Sure hated to see the scene where he smashes the horn. Hope they traded it for a prop for that scene.

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I watched it, too.

3. chenzo

chenzo Piano User

Jul 18, 2008
    Aust
    great movie.... for us aspiring trumpet players.

some good lesson in life,

wish I had seen this earlier in my life

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  4. PatMurphy

PatMurphy Pianissimo User

Aug 9, 2009
    Cherry Hill NJ
    No matter what, it was GREAT to hear Harry.
    I remember walking into the room when it was on the TV and knowing who was playing immediatly.
    No one sounded like him!

5. SteveB

SteveB Mezzo Piano User

Nov 15, 2008
    Prescott Valley, AZ
    One of my favorite old trumpet movies, too. (Right up with with "The Five Pennies.")

I loved the part where Kirk Douglas hears the fire engine siren and realizes that's that unreachable note he was always searching for.

And yep, there's nothing like listening to Harry play in any context. :-)

6. SteveB

SteveB Mezzo Piano User

Nov 15, 2008
    Prescott Valley, AZ
    Wasn't there also an old Twilight Zone episode where Jack Klugman played an alcoholic/suicidal trumpet player who gets a second chance??

7. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    The horns are either Benges or French Bessons. They used one with the normal 3rd valve slide and one with the reverse slide with the finger ring underneath.
    Check youtube .There are many excerpts from the movie which have some close-ups on the horn.
    Amazingly, Kirk, Doris, and Bacall are all still alive.
    Rich T.

8. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Mezzo Piano User

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    I also watched it yesterday. I guess it was a Kirk Douglas fest on TCM. Still waiting to see All the Fine Young Cannibals.

9. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    I just checked a few clips on youtube and there does seem to be some horn in there that doesn't look like a Benge or Besson. There are a couple of shots where you can pretty much be sure it is a Benge.
    Rich T.

10. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Well, fortunately or unfortunately, that film was not an "old" film when I first saw it. :roll:

I got the sound track when I was a kid and just about wore the grooves down. I still have it; one of the few original LPs I've still got from my youth. Love listening to Harry and Doris.

The story sure has some hokey stuff in and that moment where he's hearing that high note he can't reach is just plain stupid - and irrelevant.

One thing that's always bugged me is the alleged Bix connection, or lack thereof. Even before the movie, when the book came out, that story was being touted as being based on Bix' life and if it was, it's pretty abstract. Didn't see it last night, but I've got the DVD.