Man without a horn. Teachers, what should I do?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Mar 11, 2007.

1. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    A Hypothetical...
    I'm an almost intermediate player without a horn. I can't afford to buy or repair one. Someone is offering me one of three horns for free. They all sound great, good pitch, and are equal in every way except: One "blows easy," One slots nicely, and One has great valve action. Teacher, which one should I take?

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    A Hypothetical answer...

Do you really want some thing that blows????
    That one is gone.

Now you can play the slots or have some good valve action.

If you get a little good action, you might feel good, but you still don't have a good horn.

I would play the slots and when you hit it buy a good horn.

Hey DST just started and I'm giddy from the lack of sleep!

-cw-

3. brett wall

brett wall New Friend

Feb 22, 2007
    Nashville TN
    have good valves, you must...

The valves have much to do with the blow and the slotting. If the valve is slow or bouncy, sound like crap, you will...

4. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    If they are all equal............

5. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    There you go again, Wilmer... using your powers of observation and analytical logic........... :lol:

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It doesn't matter. You will get used to whatever that you have. If I were you, I would find a way to hypothetically get all three and theoretically drive yourself psychologically nuts trying to figure out which one is probably the best.........

7. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    At this level, Crow, it won't matter.

I'll lump myself in there too.

I've bought some very nice instruments over the last year, they don't make me a better player. It is an enjoyable and fun hobby/past time/avocation.

All the Best,

Richard

8. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    God Bless those of you who like to play nice, and boo to you whose retort I abort...I'm just weeding out horns from my ebay collection, and seeking wisdom in doing so. Can't I go about it in "around the bush manner"? You guys are great, I really mean that..............

9. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    As you develop as a player, you might find that you prefer a free-blowing horn.

As you develop as a player, you might find that you prefer loose slots.

As you develop as a player, you'll never find that you prefer inferior valves.

Sorry, I can't tell you the exact one I'd hypothetically accept, but I can tell you which one I wouldn't.

10. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    John,
    Thank you so much. I know it seems obvious to advanced and professional players that expensive professional horns usually provide the "essentials," but my choices are limited, presently. Of course I realize a repair man can improve poor valves on a good blowing and slotting horn, and I might just do that now.