Man without a horn. Teachers, what should I do?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    C,

You get the goodnatured teasing becausem frankly, you ask the impossible. Irrespective of the individual qualities of these horns you have to go with what sounds best. Now, whatever that means only you can determine. For me, the one glaring bit of information that was left out was regarding intonation. The other bit of crucial information you left out was SOUND! You didn't metion which one had the best sound.

For most players sound and intonation are the two bigest factors in choosing a horn. It's why I play the horns that I happen to fancy. Those are huge issues to me. Yet, they went by unmentioned. You mentioned valve action, free-blowing quality, and slotting. To most people those are somewhere else down the list to what I mentioned.

So, what does the pro that reads your post ascertain? Well, either all three horns have equal intonation and equal sound or those qualities aren't important to you. In the first case where they're all great then it's a question of personal preference and I don't honestly know how anyone can be helpful figure out what YOU like. In the second case, if those qualities aren't important to you then what does it matter? Go "eenie-meenie-minie-mo" and be done with it.

I guess I'm picking on you today but I don't mean to. It's just that there are several posts like this every week and I feel bad for folks that want advice where there is none that can be given without knowing the player and the horns involved. It's a bit frustrating to those that read the posts and want to help but resort to humor to make a point or the points I just made.

I hope you understand why it's hard to help people on an internet board in cases where there's a certain amount of clairvoyance that's being asked of the forum populace.

ML

2. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    Manny,
    Thanks for the explaination, I understand. Sound of course is subjective, but intonation, now you're talking. Please check my understanding of INTONATION: In-tone as one note relates to another? How do you check for good intonation?

3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Typically, most trumpeters know that there are certain notes that are glaring in their pitch problems. Usually, people have problems with 4th space E and Eb being low and the G above being sharp. The F below that G is also usually sharp. The D below that is often flat. The G and F below that are also sometimes low.

But the bottom line is that you have to hear it as out of tune. You either hear that a note is out of tune or you don't. Once you've tuned an instrument to a piano or a tuning fork, well, everything has to be in tune relative to that note you tuned to. The best way to start is to have a friend play the notes on the piano and then you do your best to match them.

Remember that the trumpet will transpose the notes from the piano.

Good luck,

ML

4. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Manny as usual hit it right on!

When I was just starting back the ONLY thing that mattered to me was how the trumpet sounded. I chose a trumpet/mouthpiece combination that would help me produce the sound that was in my head.

I'd choose the one that sounds the best and once I had progressed to a level where another horn might be preferable then I'd look at those other things.

But that's just me! :dontknow:

5. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    Thanks guys. I'm sure winning the Eclipse would help my situation! Why don't you send me a letter explaining why I should win..........

6. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Crow, the question should not be why but how...I believe that when you get the eclipse horn (if you win) you will find out the answer of "why"....Right, Eclipse lovers club?