Mandrel Material

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by Cornyandy, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Hi gang,

Jus wondeing can a bell mandrel be made from hard wood or does it have to be metallic? I only ask coz I know few wood turners who have offered to make a mandrel for me if I get the wood. I only want one for bell straightening duties not for making horns and well, just wondered

Cheers

A

2. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Hi Andy,

an extremely hard close grained wood may suffice, I make my own from mild steel bar of various diameters. I am not a woodworker so cannot give advice on woods.

Regards, Stuart.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Wood should work just fine for smoothing out dents and all. For more serious pounding a hard plastic might work better. Some of our engineers might know of the ideal material that is cheap, durable and easy to work.

4. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    When you burnish the brass it will take on any imperfections in the mandrel. A wood mandrel is good for holding a horn in place so you can work on the valves, solder work, etc, but if you are going to do metal work, you need a GOOD set of steel mandrels.

5. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    You might try, but I'm not sure about the result.. I'ld play it safe and go for a steel one. Though a wooden mandrell might be convenient for holding it etc.

6. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Table leg in a vice will hold it... and maybe work out ez dents. Bell mandrels are cheap. Just buy the right tool..

7. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Thanks guys, at least I can say to them "well a wooden one would be useful" just not in the way they are thinking

8. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    make sure they leave you something on the end of the bell flare so you can chuck it up into a vice.

9. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Tool Steel.

10. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    I would be interested to know what grade of tool steel you use and what heat treatment employed.

My homemade mild steel mandrels do all I want as an amateur doing repairs and restorations as a hobby. If I was a professional using mandrels all day every day I would certainly look at a harder material. They will see me out.

The only professional tools I have bought are a set of dent balls and driver, cost less than $500, making them myself looked too time consuming.

Regards, Stuart.