Manny can you help me find the *zing*?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Wrangler, May 20, 2006.

1. Wrangler

Wrangler New Friend

May 20, 2006
    HI Manny!

I want to make sure my first post is a good one, so I made sure to read your sticky about first posts.

Heres my issue:
    I feel that my sound lacks *zing*.

Some call it life, ring, zip, high overtones, spin, glow, corona, halo, mojo, good fuzz, but definitely not edge.

I call it *zing*.

My story, in a nutshell-I am classically conservatory trained, have won a few low level orchestra jobs and have been enjoying life a little. Last year I decided it was time to step it up, so I started auditioning again.

That was when I realized something was wrong.

My jobs have all been 2nd trumpet. I guess I'm pretty good at it. i enjoy it. But I seem to have lost my *zing*.

The best way I can think to describe what I feel is gone, and what I want back is when you listen to any really good world class recording of Pictures, that ringing zinging singing quality that you guys get. The way the sound takes up all the space, but not from volume.

That quality that fills the hall, that reaches the last row even at pianissimo.

I feel like my sound doesnt travel well, doesnt cut enough. Its not winning auditions anymore.

Please Manny, help me find my *zing*.

Desperately Dreaming of the Winners Circle,

The Wrangler

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I'm not a big fan of the so-called "zing" but I understand what you're referring to.

I prefer to think in terms of a sound with an undercurrent of energy. It sounds as though your embouchure may be starved for an airstream that spins and has vitality to it.

The first thing I want you to do is rethink your vibrato. I'll wager that you buzz the mouthpiece and never use vibrato. I have favorite tunes to buzz on the mouthpiece (Maria, On the Street Where You Live, Embraceable You) and I buzz them all with an exaggerated vibrato on the few ocasions that I buzz.

Lay off the C trumpet for a little bit and play the Bb as much as you play the C.

Get Luis Loubriel's book, "Lasting Change For Trumpeters" and get the love and ardor back in your playing. Play very softly a couple of times a week with the quickest vibrato you can muster like an old-fashioned soprano.

Get busy putting the enjoyment back into your interpretations and the sound will take care of itself.

ML

3. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico