Manny Do you take Sundays off

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bach 1 1/4C Man, Jul 30, 2005.

1. Bach 1 1/4C Man

Bach 1 1/4C Man Pianissimo User

Jun 10, 2004
    Manny Do you take Sundays or at least one day a week off the horn no practice for a break

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    No, not really... if I do, it's because I have a day off from the MO and I have other non-musical things that need attending to. I don't believe in regular days off except for religious reasons. If I need a day off, I take one. If I don't need it, I play.

ML

3. timothypierson

timothypierson Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2005
    Myself I don't take days off my horn, I think I've had maybe four or five days off this year. What I try to do, when I start to wear down, is do long tones, pedal tones, and nice easy lip slurs. My warm-up is as if I am going to have a rigorous day but after this warm-up session, I quit for the day. Most of the, on the next day I feel very refreshed and am good to go for a few more weeks.

4. silverstar

silverstar Mezzo Forte User

Jan 6, 2005
    That is actually very helpful...

I've hit one of those lows where everything you do seems kinda foggy and not in sync with the horn.

I think I'll do some long tones and slow lip slurs tomorrow. I don't know how to do pedal tones....though I've hit some low notes that are definitely lower than the low F#.

Thanks!
    Lara

5. trumpjosh

trumpjosh Pianissimo User

Dec 13, 2003
    I've always thought this was an interesting topic, so pardon me if I chime in with my $.02.

When I was a full-time university teacher ('97-'03), I used to try to take a day off every week or so. At the time, I really thought it worked for me, but I didn't have full-time performing demands. It allowed me to stay fresh (both mentally and physically) and the day after, I felt great and was really motivated to get the horn out.

Right now, with a different set of demands, I take a day off only when I have a lip problem. I tend to have trouble with a split upper lip every now and then and practicing when it is raw is counterproductive. In general, when I can't play well, spending a couple of hours on the horn just makes me upset and doesn't solve any problems. That being said, I generally feel fairly consitent, so I don't wind up taking many days off at all (maybe an average of 1 per month).

I think it is a very individual thing, depending on:

1. Your demands as a player
    2. Your level of advancement
    3. Whether you are dealing with fatigue, an injury, or just mental burnout

IMHO, it's a gray area. Manny, what do you do when you have a week's vacation?

- Josh

6. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Okay, so, if I have a week's vacation it's during the season. That means that I have to keep my face up. If the music I have to face coming back is corner burning stuff, I keep it up. If it's light material, I use that as an opportunity to play the hard stuff while I have some time off.

My main off-the-face time is the big summer vacation in August, But this year I'm taking my horn on vacation because I will likely be going to the conservatory in Puerto Rico to meet the students and do a little clinic-ing. It's the only place I'd do that while on vacation.

ML

7. Tarter_trpt8

Tarter_trpt8 Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    Phil Smith takes 3 weeks off of the horn over the summer in order to mentally be refreshed from the whole season...if you have no playing demands, why not??

Jeremy

8. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Some people need different levels of refreshment for different reasons, I suppose. If I lived in the New York rat race, I might take three weeks off, too.

ML

9. cmcdougall

cmcdougall Piano User

Feb 3, 2005
    Manny do you speak fluent spanish??

10. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Yes, I do. It was my first language and I learned english watching TV and going to school.

ML