Manny Do you take Sundays off

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bach 1 1/4C Man, Jul 30, 2005.

1. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Same here Manny. When we arrived in the States in 1967 there was no such thing as ESL programs in the public schools. There was only the "sink or swim" program in place. I remember being brought into a classroom (4th grade), being introduced by showing the kids a map of Brazil. Some of the boys that did not like foreigners made life a bit difficult for me... I learned to fight after school. ;-)

Nice new avatar! Is that you?

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Yeah, that's little ol' me on tour. It was a pic taken on tour a few years back.

After school fights with the new kid... one of our "quaint' rites of passage although it's part of every culture. I didn't get into many fights. In fact I remember both of them. I was one for two but the one I lost I was shorter and younger than the guy that won. I was in over my head.

It worked out okay... it turned out we both were in different karate schools later in life and we wound up in a local basement with other kids that wanted to workout and practice together.

We had a workout and the suggestion for sparring came up by this kid, now older and stronger. Nobody wanted to fight him. you should have seen the eyes all drop to the floor when he asked who wanted to fight.

I said I'd take him on.

I won.

ML

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I took a week off last week. Part of it was because my Mom was in town and I wanted to spend a lot of time with her and the kids while she was here. Part of it was because I believe I over-practiced in preparation for an audition that I recently took (that I bombed!) and I just wanted a mental and physical break away from the horn. Part of it was that for the first time in a while, I didn't have a weekend gig that I had to prep for.

That being said, I have a gig on this upcoming Saturday and I have a date with my trumpet every night this week. :D

But getting back to the original gist of this thread, when I was in my early 20s, playing for an Army Band, I rarely took a day completely off. It always seemed like my first day back I had slightly fuzzy chops, and I didn't like that feel of inconsistency, so even on weekends where I had no jobs, I would still do at a minimum, a basic warm up.

These days, taking time off of the trumpet really isn't a big deal. I know that come gig time, I'm going to play well enough to do the gig, (it's a LOW pressure gig) and playing trumpet isn't my living, it's a side thing - something that I do just because I enjoy doing it, and for now, it is enough.

4. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
    Manny,

Cuando mis padres vengan de San Antonio tal vez puedamos tomar otra lecion contigo en Espanol. Mi Madre habla Espanol. Pero yo no hablo Espanol.
    Gracias, Roberto ;-)

5. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Roberto,

Muy bien, mi hermano!

ML

6. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    I learned a lot about this from Roddy Lewis and then from athletics.

Roddy suggests taking two days off a week if you can, but not two days together. This lets your muscles recover.

I do a bit of running and got more serious recently ( I mean competitive running not jogging). My training program is only five days per week to allow two days for recovery. I take Saturdays and Wednesdays off.
    If I run 7 days I feel like I am getting on better, but I start to get sprains and injuries and my overall performance is worse.

Another thing I learned from athletics is interval training.
    How this works is that you build up your stamina by doing harder exercise than you normally would for one minute then rest for one minute.
    For example you might run on the treadmill at 12 KM/hr which is faster than you could normally manage but only for one minute, then walk for a minute at 6KM/hr and keep repeating this.
    It allows you to push harder and builds up stamina.

So the outcome of all this trumpet wise is that I play for 6 days a week and take one day off (normally this is the day after orchestra rehearsal if I have had a heavy blow).
    I practice several times a day for short periods alternating between tough physical passages and technical passages that are less stressful on the muscles.
    I think it was Cat Anderson who kept trumpets all over his house, including in the bathroom, so he could have a blow at all times of the day.

The outcome of this regime is:

1. I can pick up and play the trumpet with less warm up required.
    2. My stamina is better than I had when I used to just have one long practice.
    3. I have not had any bad lip problems since I started doing it.

Obviously I have the privelege of being able to play like this (I am CEO of a company so i can get away with having my trumpet in the office) but it has definitley been beneficial.
    When I used to play for a living I was blowing for hours evry day and used to get relaly bad muscle fatigue and found I was having to do more and more warming up to keep things flexible.

I used to practice during the day, do gigs at night and play cornet in a championship section brass band as a "hobby" which is like playing the violin in an orchestra.

7. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Dear Gordon,

I think you are "spot on" about play, rest, play, rest as a way of building and maintaining endurance and upper register, all things being equal. When I think back to being a kid in college, that's what I did a lot of and my endurance and upper register developed in a very natural way. It was what I later became known for around school.

ML