Manny, explain triple tounging

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Rick Chartrand, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Rick Chartrand

Rick Chartrand Piano User

Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Manny

I am considered a well rounded trumpet player and am very happy with what I have accomplished in 15 years.

I have decided recently to attack one of my weak points and make it a strong one. I have always sort of avoided triple tounging but have decided to face it

You once explained in your forum a complete technical approach to triple tounging. Can you re-explain?

Thanks

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    dear Rick,

Help me a little more. What aspect of multiple tonguing do you want to know more about ?

ML

3. Rick Chartrand

Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Dear Manny

I have a clear idea but I need to know the correct physical movement that the tongue makes in conjunction with teeth and the mouth to effectivly produce the TTK articulation.

Additionally I have a copy of Arbans and would very much appreciate if could recomend some arpegios and studies in there that would help me master this difficult aspect of playing.

PS I forget the name of the piece, but isnt that racetrack song a mainstay for triple tounging? You know the one that is played with open valves that goes...
    TT-TTK TT-TTK TT TTK TTT...LOL hard to convey a tune in here :lol:

Thanks Manny, your help is much appreciated as always

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Here's why I'm confused about your post, Rick: clearly you know what is required to do the triple tongue because you know the syllables that are needed. If you can say tu-tu-ku tooh you can triple tongue. Now, is your problem that you can't do more than a few at a time. Well, the answer is obvious: you have to practice, firswithout the horn and then with it and keep yourself very loose while you do it. The worse thing is to tighten up as many do. It messes you up and ties your tongue in knots.

My advice is different form many people. I don't advocate slow practice of the multiple. Rather I have folks play it moderately fast but in very small chunks like ttk ta... ttk ta.... Then ttk ttk ta... ttk ttk ta.... It's like learning long distance running. I think of multiple tonguing as a natural part of language that you increase over time. You don't learn to run well by running slowly. But a good student of athletics will engage in study of what happens away from the track not on the track.

So, Rick, practice your syllables while you're driving or watching TV or raking the yard, whatever.

Pratice the music when you have your horn in your hands.

ML

5. Rick Chartrand

Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Thats exactly it Manny. I know what sylables to produce but I have a hard time doing a whole piece because as you said you tighten up and your tongue gets tied up in knots. I can do maybe 3 or 4 bars at a time before I get messed up.

Ok I will practise what you suggest Manny with the chunks of articulation. This is my mission to get this right this time, and thanks so much. You are a master! :cool:

6. timcates

timcates Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2004
    Texas - USA
    if I can chime in a hint that I've "discovered" recently to work on my triple tounging - practice an 8th followed by two 16th's in duple meter - gives you the basic motion with a break before the second T articulation - then alternate measures of the duple pattern with triplets - seems like it's helping even things out.... YMMV

TC

7. Rick Chartrand

Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Hey Tim

Thanks for the info. Sounds like a good idea. I'm gonna do what Manny is suggesting, then I am gonna try out what you are saying cause that is the next logical step. Good exercise Tim :cool: