Manny....HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by chetbaker, Jan 1, 2005.

1. chetbaker

chetbaker Pianissimo User

Nov 17, 2003
    GEORGIA
    Hi Manny,
    A week or two ago you posted advice on a thread about players having problems with low notes. You gave an example of one of "your" cures which was in the Arbans book on pg. 124 or so...the interval exercises in all keys. I should have printed out a copy of what you said but I didn't and for the life of me I can not find your post anywhere! :-? Your exercise had something to do with the intervals in "C" and replacing the low "G" fingerings with an alternate set of fingerings. It all made great sense to me at the time and I wanted to try it but, again, can't find it! If you (or some other poster) can lead me in the right direction in locating this post I would be VERY grateful! BTW...I appreciate the fact that you take time out of your busy schedule to lend advice to the "needy"! ;-)

Thanks,
    Butch

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    dear Butch,

Tip-o for the day-o numero uno

Gentle sight-readers,

I was working with one of my brass sections at Minnesota Youth Symphony and stopped to help the horns with low register problems. I gave them a little tip that I'll pass on to you.

Have you been having problems with your low register?

Try this:

Go to Arban's and crack it open to page 125. That's the page with interval work the first of which ranges from low G to middle C. If you've had problems with that sort of exercise, substitute the fingering of 1-3 for the low Gs with open instead. The most important thing to attend to is that the G be absolutely in tune. To warm up this concept, play the low G normally then play it open immediately for pitch comparison.

When you have the pitch secure, play the exercise with the alternate open fingering all the way through.

Do it once more, with feeling.

Now, take it down a half step and substitute 123 with 2nd valve.

After you've done that twice go back and play the original exercise with the normal fingerings for low G. If it's not better, I'll be surprised.

Be creative with this concept but not obsessive. Creative and reasonable, good; obsessive, bad.

Later,

ML

3. chetbaker

chetbaker Pianissimo User

Nov 17, 2003
    GEORGIA
    Manny...HELP!!!

Manny,
    Fantastic...thanks alot!

Butch