Manny Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bach 1 1/4C Man, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Bach 1 1/4C Man

Bach 1 1/4C Man Pianissimo User

Jun 10, 2004
    I need to know who has really good recording of the following pieces for my two youth orchestra Auditions.

KARNEVAL
    CARNIVAL - CARNAVAL
    Antonin Dovrak op.92

Suite
    aus dem Ballett
    Der NuBknacker
    III. Vales de Fleurs

Tableux d'une Exposition
    de M. Moussorgsky
    Orchestration. de
    Maurice RAVEL

" Bolero"
    Ravel

"Carnival Onverture"
    Dvorak

Please tell me if these are available at Borders Please

Thanks

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Re: Manny Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bach,

Relax.

This is all very standard repertoire that is very easy to get ahold of even at any decent record, CD store. Waltz of the flowers is from the Nutcracker ballet Suite which you surely have heard. The parts are in A so you need to transpose. For Pictures at an Exhibition, they'll probably only want to hear the opening solo. My youth orchestra is playing that this year also. It's in C trumpet. Bolero is also in C and has two pretty solos that they'll likely want to hear. Carnival will be the trickiest because it's in E trumpet, so, practice that.

It doesn't matter which recordings you get. At your stage of the game, what's important is the main idea. You know, tempos and such. I've recorded Pictures and Bolero with Reference Records. Doug Carlsen is playing the solos that you'll probably be asked to play on Bolero because I was playing a D trumpet part.

Practice those transpositions and get a couple of lessons in with your teacher before the auditions and you'll be fine.

ML

3. SamTheMan

SamTheMan New Friend

Jun 30, 2005
    Mr. Laureano

It's Sam again.
    I'm assuming you mean MYS, and that brings up a question from me. Do you pick repertoire based on your strengths in the orchestra or are these pieces chosen far in advance? For example, the Philharmonic did Light Cavalry Overture last year which would've failed with a weak brass section, but we pulled it off. Is that just a coincedence?

Thanks a lot!
    [/quote]

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    No, Sam, it's not a coincidence. A good music director needs to balance between repertoire that challenges his troops to learn yet plays to their strengths as well. You have to give them a chance to succeed with a risk of failure. That's how young people grow and gain respect for the music and love it, too.

ML