Manny Laureano and ALPINE SYMPHONY

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by BachMan, Jan 6, 2004.

1. BachMan

BachMan Pianissimo User

Dec 9, 2003
    I get a big kick out of Alpine Symphony. I love listening to various recordings of this piece and seeing what the 1st trumpet player and the section can do.

I just got ahold of a fairly recent recording of the Minnesota Orchestra's Alpine.

Very powerful trumpet playing! Very powerful!

Was Mr. Laureano playing a big Monette on this recording. What about the other people in the section?

Although overall I must say I prefer some different recordings you have to hear this trumpet playing!

2. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    MANNY IS DA MAN :D
    He is my favorite player in the symphonic realm.
    Listen to him on the Minnesota Orchestra's recording of Bernstein's "Candide."
    Spectacular!!!!!
    Wilmer

3. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    Manny used his old Monette STC-1 C trumpet on that recording. Monette C1-2 mouthpiece.

Also, check out the Minnesota Orchestra's reording of Berstein's Symphonic Dances from West Side Story. Same horn, same mouthpiece.

Mike

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    That is one heck of a recording! What does he usually play on? Are the other guys in the section playing on Monettes on that recording?

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    Is that Candide a recent recording. Who is conducting?

6. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    For those who have not played the Alpine Symphony or have not seen the score, in some passages the third trumpet part is nearly as nasty as the first part. The second part is no day at the beach, either. The 4th part isn't so bad.
    Strauss pushed all the brass and woodwinds to the max in this one, not only with loud playing but very soft high stuff, too.
    I've heard this recording and it is indeed very well played!