Manny & Monette

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by Tootsall, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
  2. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    What a monster! :wink:

3. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Manny

:D Manny, you sound fantastic on the Monette video clips!!
    You make it look effortless.. which is just how it should be.

Have you considered doing a excerpt CD, maybe including your entire section on selected works??

It would be especially cool to hear you playing the same passages on the different Monette horns. It may even be a great collaboration between you and Dave to highlight his instruments.

4. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    This is what music played on a trumpet should sound and look like.

Absolutely outstanding sound. Oh to be able to play that easily!!!

Regards,

Trevor

5. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    I would imagine he paid his way in a lot of hard work.

Manny - what's new about that trumpet as opposed to the 'regular' prana?

6. Yakeko

Yakeko New Friend

Jan 9, 2004
    Finland
    Absolutely fantastic! One of the best sounding clips I've ever heard.. sound really fills the entire hall.

7. WAKeele

WAKeele Pianissimo User

Sep 30, 2004
    The Wild West
    And that's how it's done!!! That's a great argument for why some people play Monette's!

8. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Monette

Somehow, I think if Manny HAD to play on brand X he would still sound great. :D May have to work a little harder, but he would still sound great.

Could be that infamous 80/20 rule .... 80% player, 20% equipment... who knows for sure. Just wanted to stay on focus that it's the player playing the horn and not vise versa... :D

Maybe we can call Consumer Reports ---- have them record Manny playing brand A, B, C.... :lol: just kiddin' folks.

9. Veldkamp

Veldkamp Piano User

Mar 29, 2004
    the Netherlands
    I just taped a lot of Maurice Andre videos, he sounds pretty good too on his Stomvi horns...

Maynard didn't sound bad either the last 50 years before his new Monette...

IT'S NOT THE HORN THAT SOUNDS GOOD, IT'S THE PLAYER !!!!

:lol:

10. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Guys, guys...

First, I'm humbled by your nice comments but I'm happiest that folks are getting a kick out of it and if it inspires anybody to grab their horns and blow, that's the purpose, I think, of a site like this.

Second, it's my job to sound as good as I can regardless of what I'm playing on BUT... the bottom line for me is what makes it easier and I play Dave's horns because they make it easier. I also like the sound I produce on them.

So, yes, it's the player but the player likes to play when it's easy to do so!

Again, you guys are as supportive a bunch as one could hope for on an internet site and I thank you for that very sincerely.

And, hey... next week is Mahler 7th with Mark Wigglesworth presiding if you're in the neighborhood. Tonight is Bach's Magnificat with Helmut Rilling, my favorite Bach interpreter.

Road trip, anyone? Let me know... we have a nice place called "Brits" that samples all manner of adult beverages...after the concert, of course.

ML