Manny Playing again

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by B15M, Dec 5, 2006.

1. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
    Sounds Great Manny.

2. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    Those are light, more focused trumpets compared to my P3.
    On the video where you demo a few of them in order I actually prefered the sound you made on the heavier instrument, but thats just my taste showing through!

My current C trumpet a Bach 229H heavyweight bell with a 25 reverse lead pipe (its a full size Bb leadpipe). I feel I could do with something with abetter dynamic range. I find playing on it quietly relatively difficult compared to the P3, althogh the old bach does actually play in tune.
    The new trumpet has spoiled me somewhat.
    I used to use the Bach to make cettain parts easier to play but I like the Bb so much I am even prepared to trasnpose into siz sharps to save using the C.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Your problem isn't the Bach or the Monette. The issue is that both horns are diametrically opposed in concept. Bach produces THE standard symphonic C trumpet sound. Dave Monette has invented a "new" sound concept. His prana instruments move this different concept even further away from Bachs.
    I bought an Ajana2 Bb in 1998. Like you, I would rather transpose than play my 229/25H-not because it is a bad horn, but the Ajna is more fun. Manny has proved here that even the lightest Monette horns can be seriously considered for heavy duty symphonic work.
    Manny, have you tried a MF Prana? How does it compare to the XLT?

4. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    Thats a good summary of how I feel about it.
    Its more fun and the sound is nicer.

5. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Manny you're absolutely amazing!

what does the star mean on the LT valve casing? Is that to designate the new valve set?

6. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Trent,

I think it's the deignation for Prana. Thanks for checking it out.

Manny

7. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Rowuk,

The MF Prana is fabulous. I played it recently and it was a different experience from Dave's other horns but a very nice fit for Orchestra Hall. That's a big deal for me as OH is kind of unique acoustically.

ML

Last edited: Dec 10, 2006
  8. heik

heik New Friend

Sep 28, 2005
    Brazil
    Dear Mr. Manny (I just like calling you that, if you don't mind!),
    I am a big fan of yours and Dave. Had the pleasure of playing excerpts with him a few times. Hope I will have the honor of playing anything with you at some point.

I have a question for you. It seems you are going lighter and lighter with you instrument choices. You played Ajnas, then 900 series then Prana 1 (I think) and now the LT PRANA and going for the XLT!!. Would you mind elaborating a bit on that? I play a Samadhi and an STC 1 C trumpet and I would be interested in knowing what do you think of the new horns. I have not had the chance to try the PRANA yet, although my new Samadhi mouthpiece is based on the new PRANA C11S1! And Dave made it work beautifully on it.

Thank you for your generosity in this forum.

Later,
    Heinz Karl

9. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Actually, Heik, without wishing to appear rude I have written a fair amount about this. But the bottom line is that it had to do more with the wishes of the current music director. Our last MD had no problem with the heavier horns.

ML

10. heik

heik New Friend

Sep 28, 2005
    Brazil
    Hi again,
    not rude at all. I guess I missed the other posts where you discussed it before. Thanks anyway!
    Best,
    Heik