Manny Playing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by B15M, Aug 19, 2006.

1. Joe DiMonte

Joe DiMonte Mezzo Forte User

Apr 30, 2006
    Pittsburgh,Pa
    I found new clips of Manny playing.

Great find !
    Having listened to all 5 X 3. The XLT caught my ears and attention and I hope I'm not asking too much by asking Manny to play and tape for us his take of : "The Flight Of The Bumble Bee" and/or "Gospel John."

What are friends for ?

2. trumpettrax

trumpettrax Piano User

Mar 18, 2006
    Texas
    I don't have a computer at home, but I get to use one at work. They do not have real player only Windows Media Player. Any way to get it to work with WMP?

Thanks

Trax

3. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.

I thought there was a gradual change from a thinner sound with a lot of high end to a very thick sound. Still with the high end but a lot of added bass.

If the player makes the sound then why did the sound change?

From my perspective the idea is to use a player that is good enough to use the same set each time and just listen to the change in sound from the horn. Picking the trumpet with the best sound would be personal taste.

A while back Manny talked about using a robot to play different horns. I would bet that's what he had in mind when playing them.

I posted this on TH as well so I don't remember where I read each post but I find it interesting that some one would like a light horn best and a heavy horn second. Wouldn't the two best be next to each other?

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Just think about what the rest of the section has to do to keep up:
    Manny XLT - rest LT-Ajna
    Manny Prana1 - rest Prana3-Ajna
    Manny Ajna - rest ????????????
    To increase the pain - Manny plays one of the biggest mouthpieces Monette makes.
    maybe steroid lip balsam would help.................

I can think of suitable passages for each of the horns....................

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I still firmly believe that the player is only part of the "sound" that other people hear. The basic acoustical output is very much controlled by the weight, materials, bracing........ That combined with what happens in the brain/ear/lip produces a combination that we can identify as that players sound. If in fact the hardware didn't matter, we could all play $200 Bundy trumpets....................
    Manny with his extremely stable embouchure demonstrates the real differences in hardware - although only at a fixed distance to the video camera. In a 5000 seat concert hall at 150 feet, the differences are probably even greater - the same would go for a studio setting with a microphone at 12". I think we need all of them to be ready for whatever comes up...........
    I just haven't found any sponsors...........
    I have been playing an Ajna2 since 1998 and ordered a Prana3 in June. As soon as I get it, I'll post the differences.

6. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    My votes are the Prana LT raw brass and Prana 3. They really ring nicely and have a real fullness.

It's astounding how consistent your playing on those is. And it sounds/looks like you could go on all day!

7. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Bump.

I wanted to bump this back up...it's a great teaching tool on many levels. I showed it just now to my 5th graders, as we were discussing and trying to develop good breath, steady embouchre, and good sound concept.

I might try it with my advanced high school to discuss timbre differences...