MANNY!!! RESULTANT OVERTONES...REMEMBER THE POWER??

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BADBOY-DON, Jun 29, 2006.

1. BADBOY-DON

BADBOY-DON Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Gig Harbor Wa.
    Go to the topic on the trumpet Discussion section.
    "Theme for the Common Man"

You were there at the 1999 Monette Open House and clinic and took part in that group of Charly Schlueter's bunch of great trumpet players...when they played The Theme for the Common Man.

That day when you and the rest of his group "shook the lights and rattled the walls in Dave Monette..make shift shop auditorium.
    After that...I gained a whole new understanding of the power of resultant overtones, and how they can effect changes, not only in just mere walls or seat backs, but equally how they can effect or enhance the mood or feelings and intensity of a live performance.
    Nothing can match the power and anoiting that Live musical performance can effect the listeners as well as the musicians.

What a great week end....just to be in the presence of so many world class musicians, left many of us...either inspired, or hummm?
    I almost felt like going home and digging a hole in the back yard to bury my beloved old Besson, and Callet horns. What I heard that weekend was so inspiring...but equally a very humbling experience n'allthat jaaaazzzz. :oops:
    If any of you are near Portland....stop in to see Dave and gang. They are truly the Hosts with the Mosts. U will be changed.... ;-)

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    What a wonderful time that was... it was like an ITG with the focus on Dave's work. I met some great folks and ate like a friggin' maniac.

Thanks for the memories, Don. I'll be in Portland for a day this August as well as Seattle for the balance of the week. Ichiro, Der Rosenkavelier, hiking, and a whole lot of fresh seafood.

ML

3. Derek Reaban

Derek Reaban Mezzo Piano User

Jun 16, 2005
    Tempe, Arizona
    Don,

I had the pleasure of hearing a similar demonstration of resultant tones with Manny at the 2004 ITG Conference in Denver.

You wrote this in the other post on this topic in the General Trumpet Discussion section:

I can totally see this happening. I don’t think that most players understand just how powerful this concept is. If they did, more people would cultivate this quality in their sounds.

4. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    So this begs the question: how does one develop this in singular practice? Obviously, you cannot generate resultant tones by yourself; but how do you develop the skill to nail pitches so centered that in a section setting you produce them without having to adjust (the ideal setting...having a section that produces them consistently). Does section blend have an impact as well? For example, if you are playing a 1st inversion triad with root in the lead, should the lowest voice being strongest impact this?

5. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Simply, Glenn, it's a question of having ears that tell you you're in tune or very close to it. When one has a good sense of self intonation the group intonation follows naturally.

ML

6. BADBOY-DON

BADBOY-DON Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Gig Harbor Wa.
    Just another thought...Every individual instrument that is manufactured, has it very own "pitch center" on every valve combination.
    Unfortunate that many brand of instruments, limited by its construction and design, natually will not play in pitch in every note combination.

If we are to stay in tune or pitch with other players....it is of PRIME importance that we carefully LISTEN, LISTEN, LISTEN to each other and take the care to BLEND by either lippin' up or down....utilizing slide pulls and even on some brands of instruments (ala' my long lost old beloved Besson Soveriegn Cornet) we might have to use false fingerings, just to accomplish this task---just to stay in tune with each other.

I have found it amazing that so many wonderful soloists sometimes are the most lacking, when it comes to BLENDING. When they get into musical situations with other players, they often forget to listen and blend together. Not only it is so equally important to blend and listen to each other...it is even more important to learn to blend or meld that power together to form that special coloring of sound that is required.

Some brands very greatly from indiviual instrument from another of the same model. Natually we can texurize the voicing by utilizing various mouthpieces, etc.
    However, all this aside...I have heard seasoned players, MIKE VAX, for example gave us a wonderful rendition of sound colorization during one of his performances last year.
    He started out the performance on one song. It was a velvety-warm-dense beginning...(pure lush warm fat sound) and then on the next passage...with that same Signature model trumpet and mouthpiece, played the ending of that song with such an amazingly BRIGHT-BRASSY projective sounding trumpet voice.
    HOW-DE-DO-DAT??? I asked Marvin Stamm when he was here in the NW and he grinned and said...
    Hey, you remember Stan Kenton don't you? "CONTRASTS", and listening to each other.
    This is off the subject...however for a good illustration of resultant tones.
    Simply go to the piano, put the loud petal down, take your trumpet and blow a good stacatto sort fff note. Stop: LISTEN, as the piano responds in sound vibration with that same note. Sorry for the dumb illustration, this is old basic science stuff. But so many horrifical things can happen if we don't live by these basic rules, whether it be in music or life.

My long time friend and fellow musican is the principle acoustical Engineer for the Boeing Company. RAYMOND.C.KLEIN at BOEING(A died in the wool Bach-a-holic) is really in touch with sound.
    For example on the old Boeing 757 during flight tests...the metal skins of the airplane, would suddenly began vibrating, due to the sound pitch of the engines during take offs and in some flight modes...the airplane's outter skin would begin to vibrate in tune when the engines would give off this high pitch whine.
    Talk about annoying to the passengers? However the big concern was outter skin fatique from the vibration would cause damage at the attach points.

Ray Klein was the hero of the day, year when he made the corrections to the metal bracing at the proper attach points...which changed the nodel pitch points of the alumn. skins, which STOPPED COLD , those damaging resultant overtones, that the engines had beenproduing those distructive and annoying vibration noise sounds.
    Sorry for the drivel...I am NO SOUND ENGINEER, however Ray being both a sound genius and a really great trumpet player...really OPENED MY EYES AND EARS, to the power and science of sound. But again, that same year, at the Monette Open house in Portland, CHARLY SCHLEUTER, really put the illustration in sharp focus, with that playing of THE THEME FOR THE COMMON MAN. :shock:

7. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    DANG! The man can actually post in ENGLISH! :twisted: Way to go, Don! Guess the effect of the fumes must be wearing off as retirement progresses. :D

Edit: Don, I hasten to clarify that I totally enjoy your posts! This one was "tongue-in-cheek"!

8. 40cal

40cal Forte User

Dec 13, 2005
    Minnesota
    This discussion got me to thinking about section players in orchestras.

The high level of proficiency necessary for section players to effectively shadow (if you will) the great principal players.

Sorry for the hijack.

9. BADBOY-DON

BADBOY-DON Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Gig Harbor Wa.
    :D :shock:

Hey, Toots'

Birds of a featha'...my friend in brass... I alway enjoy reading your posts. Love your humor, (sic, like me?) Naa, just rassin'
    (Perhaps it is not the fumes..but too many high notes, combined with BRASS POISONING! :-?
    At least I will try to refrain from using my pro-fannnniteeee like I did in ol' TH after I began recieving HATE MAIL for my "WHAT WAS HE THINKIN?' post, huh? After about the 10 private E mail from the flock...I felt really
    TARRED AND FEATHERED! n'allthatjazz.

10. BADBOY-DON

BADBOY-DON Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Gig Harbor Wa.
    Uhhh, betta yet-----if the principal players....
    :D just happen to be trumpet-heads