"Manny should take lessons from YOU"....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rjzeller, Dec 5, 2005.

1. rjzeller

rjzeller Forte User

Mar 7, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    Believe it or not, that's what someone actually said to me this week as I was filling in for a local college concert (they were short on trumpets).

The other gentleman was also filling in, and is notoriously pro-Chicago everything. He's a trombone player mostly, but does well enough with trumpet that he can fill in when needed. If you knew this guy, you'd know that the Chicago symphony brass section is the epitome of perfection (PRE-Monette horns) and all others are merely imposters.

So we got to talking about my experience with Manny and how I felt that ML is perhaps one of the top orchestral trumpet players in the country today. This guy looked at me like I had just smoked something foul.

"Oh, no way Rich," he exclaimes. "YOU'VE got better tone than Manny has...he should take lessons from YOU."

Now...I won't even go into just how stupid and rediculous a comment that was! ML has heard me play and is probably grabbling for his jaw right now (which has no doubt landed firmly on the floor after that statement).

Warren, Greg, ML, and myself all realize how outrageous that was, and at least two of us know it's entirely because this person's love-fest and bias for all things Chicago, but I don't care.

In grand Chartrand tradition, I am officially going to run with this guy's comment and proudly proclaim that I sound better than Manny when I play!!

Worship my folks! I am the master of lyrical sweet tones!!

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Ah, what the heck. at least we know folks don't have agendas,right, Rich? You'e way too busy on your site... we miss you around here.

By the way, how much do you charge?

ML

3. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota

:huh: :think: :noway:

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Rich, are you sure you are getting enough oxygen to the brain? :-P

5. rjzeller

rjzeller Forte User

Mar 7, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    Hey...I'm just quotin' what somebody else said!!

And ML -- My GOD am I busy!! Yesterday capped the 7th straight night of playing 3+ hours. Another week like this and I'll become an unwilling bachelor.

...OH...I charge $15 per 1/2 hour lesson! Come on down!!

(Okay...now the Oxygen really IS getting thin. I'll blame it on the friggin' cold we're getting right now. It's just not right....)

6. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    "It's butt-cold out here, and I'm fresh out of beer".

:-P

Burgess Meredith in "Grumpy Old Men".