Manny, the jazz cat!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by loweredsixth, Apr 19, 2005.

1. loweredsixth

loweredsixth Pianissimo User

Mar 11, 2005
    Fresno, California, USA
    Manny, I don't know very much about your history, but have you ever played jazz? Something tells me that you would be a killer jazz soloist. :-)

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Low6,

Thanks, but my experience is limited compared to others. I've done enough of it, sure, but when I hear the real thing I just shake my head. I've had the honor of doing improv with guys like Vizzuti and Doc and those were wonderful experiences along with a few other chances for the orchestra. I love sitting in with groups like I did at the hotel in Vienna on tour. Those were low pressure, very late sessions, though. Who knows, a different training, a different time..?

ML

3. Robert1

Robert1 New Friend

Feb 8, 2005
    In the past, I have heard Manny stand in front of the orchestra with Doc, and "trade fours," etc. It sounded like he had been doing this all his life. Great improv style and ideas, screamin' high-notes, all with Manny's characteristic beautiful sound. Seeing Manny do this with Doc was one of of those lasting impression type of things in my brain when it comes to trumpet playing and players...

4. PH

PH Mezzo Piano User

Dec 2, 2003
    Bloomington, Indiana
    All I know is that 20+ years ago Manny surprised the heck out of me at an after hours jam at an ITG conference (in Ithaca--what year? I think it was when he was still in Seattle...). He actually knew (and did a good job with) the Tadd Dameron tune "Hot House". That is not exactly the kind of jazz repertoire that one expects a dabbler to be conversant with.

Manny, step out of the closet and into the jam session!

5. ponce

ponce New Friend

Nov 9, 2003
    New York
    I'll go you 10 years better. 30+ years ago Manny and I regularly played in our high school jazz band. Manny, was it like twice a week that the jazz band met? Anyway, of all the trumpet players who molded themselves in the legit style, Manny was the only one of us who successfully broke out of that mold in jazz band. The rest of us just faked it. Manny, was Bernard Gluckman the conductor of the jazz band that year? I think he was, but I'm not positive. The point I'm trying to make is that Manny could indeed improvise even at 17, and I can't to this day!

6. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Ponce,

Yup, Bernie Gluckman... I always kind of smirk when I picture him because he was one of those older cats that sorely needed to think about wearing a "bro". Later it was taken over by Justin Di Ciocco, remember him?

That was a great band... thanks for spurring that memory. I can still play one lick from memory... that one great climactic lick from "Marshmellow" up to the high G. For sentimental reasons I still have the 14a4 I used to pull out for jazzband.

ML