Manny's comments on the Monette video

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ldwoods, Sep 13, 2006.

1. ldwoods

ldwoods Piano User

Jan 20, 2006
    Manny,
    While you were on travel, I posted the following in discussion about the 5 different Monette horns played for the video clip.

Would you be so kind as to address the issues raised in bold font below?

Thanks,
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

I must have listened to that clip about 10 times since first seeing it last night.

I ranked them, but have been wondering something. I know this may come across as blasphemy, but would Manny play each horn exactly the same every time? What I am saying is that if we heard Manny play the LT 5 times in a row, would they all sound the exact same? Again, no offense intended, just a thought.

From what I heard, here's the ranking:
    1st place - LT
    2nd place -Prana 3
    3rd place - Prana 1
    4th place - Prana Ajna
    5th place - XLT

I am truly interested to hear what Manny thinks. How about it Manny, which one did you prefer playing and think sounded best?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I can think of situations where every horn could be useful. I think I need all of them......... I just need to find a store first that sells chops like Mannys'!

Playing one right after another shows us the real HARDWARE differences. No chance to get used to the horn (which would probably cause a certain amount of adjustment in the sound - although the potential for each horn is different).

I thought the Ajna was most appropriate for the Bartok.

Manny, could you do the comparison again in a real concert hall setting? Microphone at 50 - 100 feet away?

3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    That's exactly right, Rowuk. Different sounds for different repertoire.

Music is about variables in musical situations. Yes, of course every attempt at playing something is going to have a slight difference to it. There is, fortunately, enough that's consistent about my approach so that a test of an instrument will be a fair one.

My favorite to play was the Prana 3 as an overall horn. Everything else was a variation in another direction. The Prana 1 was a VERY close second. I play the XLT Prana these days because it fits in with what the current music director likes. The last music director liked my 937, a heavier, more dense sound. Different strokes.

I thought the Ajna was the most beautiful sound. Of course, out of all of you, I was the only one to experience that recording in a life acoustic environment as aopposed to coming out of litle or larger computer speakers. The differences were startling and was what prompted Dave's having me do that demonstration.

People are fond of saying "They all sound like Manny." Well, that's nice but what one is really saying is that it sounds like my musical concept, not my aural concept. The player is in command of a certain portion of the sound but the horn is the delivery system and that will have a great bearing on what a person on the other side hears. I'm responsible for phrasing and articulation. The horn will bear the responsibility of making intonation easier or more difficult, brightness or darkness, how hard the articulation sounds, and other things.

Thanks for your questions, guys...

ML

4. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I wasn't going to comment on this and the more I thought about it I had to come back.
    I play a 993 for my B flat and have talked a lot about my sound with other players. I play about 99% of the time with people playing Bach. I have a Bach and when I first started with the Monette I would ask if it is ok to play it. I have never been told no but, we have had a lot of discussions about blend. I'm really not sure what direction to go. The sound in my head is the one I get with the 993 but lately I've been thinking about going lighter.
    Manny, While I have not become a professional trumpet player I am a pro at my job. One of the best and I know the business world. I have to congratulate you on being a really good employee. You are doing what your boss wants and (my opinion) it probably interferes with your sound concept.

I have been playing my Bach lately when I am hired to play lead with a big band. I don't like the sound but the guys in the section do. It's an interesting dilemma.

I don't have a conclusion but I just wanted to throw this stuff out there.

5. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Thanks, joe, it's nice to have the support. The good thing is that I know that when I play Dave's stuff irrspective of the model there are going to be some built-in philosophic stuff that agrees with me. Like I said earlier, I sound like me when the horn doesn't get in the way and I can play with my heart.

It's like what happened a few minutes ago. I was just on stage playing a beautiful piece by Martinu (Memorial for Lidice). At one point I was really watching Osmo who was stretching some phrases and delaying some entrances j-u-s-t a little bit more than yesterday morning. Well, I had to play a concert D fortissimo but because I was so focused on what Osmo was doing I heard a C in my head. The horn was smarter than I was fortunately and it came out just fine, no problem. But that's what I mean. That's happened to me enough times where I have one sound in my head and somehow the horn's stability saves me (don't worry, it doesn't happen THAT often!) It's a little like drinking a beverage, getting involved in conversation, and forgetting what you were drinking. That weird moment of "What the heck?" where you don't taste anything at all is what that was like.

Anyways, that's what I am, an employee, right? Might as well be a good one and keep the ship afloat at the same time. Besides, you really do forget all that stuff once the music starts.

ML

6. Veldkamp

Veldkamp Piano User

Mar 29, 2004
    the Netherlands
    B15M, I had the same dilemma you have. I sold the B993 and kept playing my Bach. If I would have played more solo stuff, I would heave kept the B993 probably. The other solution is stop playing lead if you don't want to sound like a leadplayer and blend with your section.

Or buy a XLT for lead stuff.

7. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I have a few things to say about this post.

First thing: I'm not going to stop playing lead.
    What does a lead player sound like?
    Is there a rule?
    I'm getting paid but, I'm in the minor league and can do whatever I want.
    How does it sound out front?
    If I went back to the Bach full time, would my sound slowly change to what I produce with the 993?

I have a feeling that when I play lead with the 993 the sound is way bigger and fatter to the audience even though the section can't hear it as well.
    Last question: Who should benefit from the sound, the band or the audience?

I have talked to the Monette shop about getting a new trumpet but the jury is still out weather it will be a change for the better or not.

8. Veldkamp

Veldkamp Piano User

Mar 29, 2004
    the Netherlands
    You don't have to shout at me...;-)

To answers your questions:

- What does a lead player sound like, is there a rule?

Listen to the great leadplayers to get an idea, but to help you I'll give you an idea. The leadplayer has to be heard by his section members, the rest of the band and the audience. They have to blend with their section and the sound should not just be out front but also give enough feedback to you and your section members. So everybody hears what you're doing. Leadplayers have a brighter sound with some body, so it's a fat sound with sizzle on the high notes in the tuttis. The sound has to project but also has to give enough feedback. If you don't get enough feedback, you will overblow in tuttis because you're not hearing yourself enough.

- How does th B993 sound in front?

Fat and with a wide spreading sound. The audience will hear you I'm sure. But I'm afraid they won't hear a complete section, but a leadplayer and the rest of the section. It's more or less the same if a leadplayer plays a Connstellation and the rest of the section plays Bach. It doesn't blend that well.

- Who should benefit?

A good leadplayer with the right equipment will please everyone.

I'm just giving my thoughts on your dilemma. I'm a prof. leadplayer and had a B993 which I liked (and played enough concerts on to give some advice) but sold it because it didn't work out for me. I could play lead on it but it wasn't the best solution for the job. I'm not saying a Bach is a the best solution either because there are many good (lead)horns outhere.

9. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I appreciate the info. I didn't think I was shouting, just asking.

10. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I think he meant the font size, Joe.

ML