Manny's comments on the Monette video

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ldwoods, Sep 13, 2006.

1. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I am a very bad speller so I compose my posts in my email and then do a cut and past in here. ever Since the format change the font and the size get pasted with the post. I liked it so I just left it.

It must be my 993 voice.

2. Veldkamp

Veldkamp Piano User

Mar 29, 2004
    the Netherlands
    NO PROBLEM...

:lol:

3. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Maybe section players should get paid more so everyone can buy a B993 (now P3, I guess...):D. My first concert freshman year at NEC I was playing second on Schubert's Unfinished. The principal had a C937, I had a Bach something or other (239 or 229, I can't remember). It didn't match, so instead of him getting out his old Getzen C, he loaned me his B937 and it worked out much better.

Jimi

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The Bach will never sound like the 993 - the materials, construction, bore size, etc. are sooooooo different. To "rescue" the 993, your section would have to play at least 993s too. You probably still would not have the "traditional" lead sound although the section would be balanced.
    On another post, I questioned the necessity of the whole world insisting on THE "traditional" or "standard" sound. I think there is room for variety - for musical results, the section has to cooperate though.
    Erik is right on the money with the Constellation/Bach comparision. I did exactly that in the mid 70s in the Army Band in Stuttgart, Germany. We were issued Constellations, I owned a Benge built in the 60's and the rest of the section was Bach. I ended up buying a Bach ML 72*. I never really thought it was me, but the section sound made the experience much more gratifying and I didn't think about it when I was playing. Maybe an XLT would do the job, I don't have any experience with it in that setting though. Contact Pat Hession - he can probably give the best first hand info out there. If he is not available through his web site, the people at Monette will pass your mail on.

5. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I remember playing lead on my 937 with Greg Hopkins' Berklee Band (killin' band, I was a last minute sub when the normal lead players' chops "blew out"...) The music was REALLY tough but I thought the 937 kicked total aspirin playing lead. I was playing a BL2 stc-1 weight in it to get enough cut... I never had a problem playing lead on my heavier Monettes, it was when I tried to play 3rd to a guy with a really bright sound when I started running into some issues. Boston's a funny town in terms of commercial musicians.

I'll have to find a clip of us playing at the IAJE in New Orleans. I remember the sound guy telling me my mic was off because I was playing so loud! ;) Even on the board mix you can hear a ton of my horn.

-t

ps. Manny... I think the sound on the LT and P3 are my favs... I love the sound of that P3.... wow.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Trent,
    was the trumpet section amplified when you were playing lead/when you were playing 3rd? I play lead occasionally with my Monette Ajna2 with a BL4 mouthpiece(mostly second though) and haven't had any complaints either, we are mic'ed most of the time. Listening to the recordings, I would prefer a lighter horn if I was playing lead for a living.
    Scotty Barnhart smokes with his Ajna in the Basie Big Band (playing second). I guess each section has to figure out what to do. Still the general rule is a lighter weight instument on lead.

7. Siegtrmpt

Siegtrmpt Mezzo Piano User

Nov 21, 2005
    Virginia
    I'm not really convinced we actually want everyone in a big band to have the same sound. I like to see and hear the players on the 3rd and 4th parts playing with a fuller sound than a typical lead set up would get in the lower register. I don't make any claims to lead trumpet greatness but my set up is a Mt. Vernon ML43 with Dave M's B4L on lead and B4S when playing the other parts. Much more important is the section listening to the lead player (and the rest of the band for that matter) for style and balance.