Mannys Goals...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Johnleopold, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Johnleopold

Johnleopold New Friend

Feb 7, 2004
    Tracy, CA
    Hey Manny...

I started a topic over in general forum on "my someday song" ... I was wondering,,, is there any music that you ever want to play or... being who and where you are in your career... have you played it all ? please forgive me, I don't mean to be insulting ... beginners curiousity I guess... when I look at where I am and where the greats are... thats a pretty big meadow to cross...

What I mean is, do you see and hear trumpet pieces and then, in no time, can play it ? --- for instance I like "Cold Duck" Jazz ... Eddie Harris, Les McCann album... I listen to that and thats all I do... its a good ways away for me... but do you listen to something like that and then you can play it in a short time ???

John

2. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Manny is one of the finest trumpet players in the world today.
    After playing principal trumpet in a major orchestra for a number of years you get to play everything, Mahler, Strauss, Bruckner, Stravinsky and every major work in the symphonic repertoire.
    Manny has the great opportunity to work with Doc regularly.
    There isn't much Manny hasn't played.
    He is a treasure!

Wilmer

3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    If you laugh I'll kill you.

First, thanks for the support, Wilmer. Coming from someone who was a first influence when we were both kids, (you were the older kid, ahem) that's high praise indeed. Gracias, mi amigo.

Here's the scenario:

I've just played a recital of my favorite pieces and the audience is expecting an encore.

They get it.

A band quickly walks on stage and every trumpeter in the room recognizes the first couple of bars...

"Dot da dahhh"
    "Dot dadahhh"
    "Dot da dahhh"
    "Dot dadahhh."

Yup. Blue Birdland. And I want to play it just the way Maynard did on the Live at Jimmy's album 4 and 5.

All right, happy now?

Just call me Walter Mitty...

ML

4. Johnleopold

Johnleopold New Friend

Feb 7, 2004
    Tracy, CA
    Nice Very nice...

I need to get some of your work. I've very far behind on who does what in music... I just like a good horn section when there is one. I grew up on classic jazz.

My father was a self taught chemist and worked for the typical company. But when he came home, he'd eat, hang with the family and when things slowed down in the evening... he would build furniture in the garage while playing Miles Davis, or Stanley Turntine. Coltrane or Getz or whatever...
    So while we kids played with wooden blocks on the side we learne the love of Jazz and also classical becuase he played a lot of that too...

Wow... must be nice... can't wait to learn a good song or two... or ten :-)

5. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA

Manny, if you ever want a backup horn section to play with ya on that, gimme a call! lolol. Have you heard MF since he got his Prana? Good grief. He came here four yrs ago and I honestly wasn't impressed. Then I heard him on the Prana a lil while ago and man... talk about hair standing on your neck for a great lead line...

6. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Bear,

He's the Boss. I had to miss his most recent swing through Minneapolis and I was, to say the least, vexed. The lame reason was I had to work that night. This job of mine is severely cramping my style.

Wouldn't it be a great story to hear the entire MO trumpet section blew off a concert to go hear Maynard play instead? I can just hear the excuses flowing in to the peronnel manager's office now...

Wait a minute...

Waitafrigginmnnit...

This sounds like a job for the TM posters!!!

Okay, here's what I need: the best excuse to give our personnel manager for blowing off a, let's see... okay, a Verdi Requiem to go hear Maynard on his new Prana.

Oh, this is going to be good...

ML

7. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Pianissimo User

Hi Manny,

Here is a list of excuses that were common in my old school band when one had to explain why one missed a rehearsal..

Band Master Question :

Why weren't you at rehearsal last Thursday?

Band Member Answer (pick one) :

1. Had to go down down with my mother!(in our local accent , Waterford, Ireland.. it sounded like hatago down town wime mudder... :D )
    2. Had to buy new shoes for band. (insert any item of band uniform there instead of shoes)
    3. Had to get a hair cut
    4. Had to pick up my little sister from school. (hata pick up me lil sisder from skule)
    5. Had detention at school. (held back after school for.. misbehaving!)
    6. Sore lips (it was a brass band, chapped lips, common excuse winter time! lip balm was for girls!!)
    7. I had to attend extra study periods (very unlikely)
    8. * this is the star answer ... I FORGOT! :dontknow:

Hope you find these useful.. if you need a dep when you want to bunk off, you can fly me over! :oops:

8. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Try this one-
    "I am being tested for the Ebola Virus."

Or kill off a distant relative-
    "My Great-Grandfather is being buried."

I guess the boo-boo on the chops ploy has been run into the ground by the horn section :evil:

Good luck,
    Wilmer

9. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    "Maestro, we all are feeling a little 'tight', and we took some yoga lessons from a master who just got back from India. Our chakras needed aligning.".............

Btw, isn't "Nirvana" a fancy new-age term for "orgasm"?

10. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Over the phone excuses:
    1) Have you seen it outside? There must be a foot of snow on my car? I'm not gonna make it.

2) My wife injured herself trying out her new lefsa iron and I have to take her to the ER.

3) On a triple dog dare I got my tongue frozen on a flagpole and can't make it. (hold your tongue while saying this one)

4) I ran out of my designer Monette valve oil - Maynard said he has an extra bottle I could borrow AFTER his concert.

5) My dog ate my music.

:D

Greg