Mannys Goals...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Johnleopold, Jan 27, 2005.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I couldn't come in because my stigmata was acting up.

I couldn't come in because the voices were telling me to stay home and clean the guns.

I got stuck in the Blood Pressure machine down at WalMart

I hit a water buffalo with my car and I didn't have any towels

I couldn't come in because the EPA determined that my house is totally surrounded by wetlands and I had to arrange for helicopter transportation

I couldn't come in because...have you ever seen one of those movies where someone gets abducted by aliens and they lose like three days worth of memory and don't know where they have been? Kinda like that...without the aliens...and I can still remember everything....who are you?

I couldn't find a spot to park so I went back home

I didn't want to have to tell you this, but I'm really a counter-intelligence agent in the CIA and I could tell you where I was, but then I'd have to kill you.

I couldn't come in because I was still drunk from the night before

Jake Blues: No I didn't. Honest. I ran outta gas. I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from outta town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake, a terrible flood, locust's. It wasn't my fault, I swear to God!

That oughta get you started. :cool:

2. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Actually got this one this week:
    "My daughter lost her flute". (insert trumpet, of course). :shock: :shock: :shock:

3. davidk

davidk New Friend

Jan 6, 2005
    Silver Spring, Maryland
    [quote="Manny Laureano"

Okay, here's what I need: the best excuse to give our personnel manager for blowing off a, let's see... okay, a Verdi Requiem to go hear Maynard on his new Prana.

Oh, this is going to be good...
    ML[/quote]

How about these:

"I'm sorry, I died!" (only good once)
    "I'm in quarantine with (insert disease here)"
    "My tongue piercing hasn't healed yet"
    "My house arrest doesn't reach that far"
    "My son/daughter/dog/neighbor stepped on my horn" :shock:
    "I broke my finger"
    "I burned my lips on my Chai latte"

Get the feeling I've put some thought into these? :-)

David

4. Greg5850

Greg5850 Pianissimo User

Jan 10, 2004
    WI
    Excuses

How about-
    I just started "Double High C in 37 weeks" and its my day not to play.
    Wouldn't the Verdi sound better without trumpets anyway?
    My fairy godmother sent me to the ball last night and when I left I dropped my mouthpiece. I'm waiting for prince Charming to bring it over.

And, speaking of Maynard, I heard him live last year and he can still do it all. He was playing solos and long lines, not just short spots. Incredible!! Isn't watching the guy breathe a lesson in itself?

Greg

P.S. Count me among the Manny fans. I listened to his excerpts on the Monette site! Holy wow! Anyone who can do that and still be humble enough to admit a desire to be able to do something else is a real person in my book.

5. Johnleopold

Johnleopold New Friend

Feb 7, 2004
    Tracy, CA
    Greg....

where is that site ?

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Re: Excuses

Are we talking about the same Maynard Ferguson? The last time I saw him he looked like he was wheezing up on stage and couldn't catch his breath. (this was at Blues Alley in DC and I was only about 10 feet from him, so I got a good look) Are you seeing something that I'm not? Seriously, I'm not trying to slam Maynard, but it isn't like he's in shape and it wouldn't surprise me if he did have a hard time breathing.

7. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Re: Excuses

"Incredible!! Isn't watching the guy breathe a lesson in itself?"

Absolutely. Everytime I've ever seen him it's been a reinforcement of correct breathing and support-as-movement instead of the stiffness too many trumpet players think it is. I remember the interview where Bud uncategorically called him the greatest brass player he's ever seen. When asked to clarify the statement he reiterated it just to be extra clear.

I'm a fan.

ML

8. R.A.S.

R.A.S. Pianissimo User

Oct 13, 2004
    Woodbury, Minnesota
    Manny,
    Do you still have a copy of MF Horn 4 & 5 ??
    There is a written F above double high C in that, and I'd like to re-record it onto a better cassette tape than I did the first time (in about 1976??).
    He should have been out of breath after giving all those credits, but this is one unique piece of live, high, controlled, wonderful playing!

Speaking of borrowing records that I once owned, but only have on some very old cassettes, does anyone nearby (Twin Cities) have:
    The 2 Chase albums
    MF Horn 2
    Maynard Ferguson 1961-2
    Don Ellis Life at Fillmore West
    Woody Herman album with Light My Fire on it

I just got my turntable/amp/cassette/etc. system fixed, and I'd be glad to do some dubbing in trade for loaner records.

9. Johnleopold

Johnleopold New Friend

Feb 7, 2004
    Tracy, CA
    Okay ...

You should now know by now that I'm the guy who is the beginner with all the questions ---like the one that started this topic...

So... my rookie question of the day has been " who is this Maynard Ferguson " that everyone is writing about...

Without feeling really stupid for a second more I do an internet search and I find a clip from Mr. Ferguson's album... One more trip to Birland....
    its a Mp3 clip that has multiple cuts...

Anyway... yes you all have my permission to leave the day job to see Maynard... NOW I'M GOING TO QUIT PLAYING HORN... its because Maynard is too good...

HOLY Flapp... that clip was Awesome... just Awesome... Maynard is a BAAAADDDDDDD Man.... he was whippin' that brass around like it was a bull whip breaking the sound barrier...

Ya... lucky me... a beginner...

You guys are so cruel... :-)

Mean ole' horn players...

10. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    The great, late conductor, Klaus Tennstedt, was rehearsing us for a performance of the The Eroica symphony, the 3rd ofBeethoven. He sensed a lack of energy from some of the ranks (which was rare for we loved playing for this guy and truly looked forward to his rehearsals and concerts).

He stopped and looked at us and said in his heavy, East German accent, "You must alvays remember zat zere vill be SOMEONE at zis conert zat has not heard zis piece before".

John, I cannot tell you what a joy it was to read your post and know that you are among the many of us that love listening to this man play. His energy, sheer guts and staying power has been an inspiration to trumpeters for generations now. It's cool that you're in on it now.

I guess that makes you one of us, now. Welcome to the club, amigo.

ML