Marc Ridenours's tweeqers

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by RG111, May 22, 2007.

1. RG111

RG111 Piano User

Nov 12, 2003
    Forgive me if this has been posted before by someone else, but I recently received Mr. Ridenour's "Tweeqers". I can tell you that they transformed an already outstanding CL 229 H pipe trumpet into an even better one.I am so happy with them. As budget permits, I plan to order some for my Bb also. He has a website-( Tweeqers. com)- if you want to know more about them. I really can't praise them enough!

Roy Griffin

2. Siegtrmpt

Siegtrmpt Mezzo Piano User

Nov 21, 2005
    Virginia
  3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Yeah, I found them at tweeqerzone.biz too, but wow--such a lot of money! For some much cheaper voodoo, buy some of that self-adhesive lead tape at a golf shop and try before you buy. All the fun of trumpet-mutilation without the mess of solder and saws!

Have fun!

4. RG111

RG111 Piano User

Nov 12, 2003
    I have been around long enough to have tried tape also. Its not the same. In over 50 years in the profession I have never tried anything that made such a difference in a horn. I am totally not a "gearhead". I have always felt, to paraphrase Sousa's "the man behind the gun", it is the man behind the mouthpiece. Before you suggest an alternative, you might try them. I don't see how you can until you do so. BTW, tweeqers.com is on my bookmarks, and still works.
    Roy Griffin- US Marine Band, Washington DC (ret)

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If this is true, why don't the manufacturers "improve" their designs? Seems like a simple mod at the manufacturing stage-thicker tubing or patches at critical positions.
    I won't comment on this stuff until that I have tried it. Additional mass at specific places on the horn is something that not only Dave Monette has been doing. There is obviously an issue here!
    Has anybody else tried this and compared blow, intonation, slotting and consistency throughout the registers? All of the other mods that I have really tried myself were not universally positive.

6. RG111

RG111 Piano User

Nov 12, 2003
    There are several posts on Trumpet Herald about the tweeqers. The most recent one is by Mark himself, and he gives some comments he has received from some pretty heavy hitters!
    Roy

7. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    I'm with Vulgano on this... a bit pricey. Roy, I hear ya on the "try"... maybe if it had a refund policy available (maybe there is and I didn't notice it).

There may be some alternative materials that are available at hardware stores that "may" (big maybe) do the job. I'm not trying to be negative, but sometimes it's possible to find something else that works just as well for a lot less money. There's magnetic tapes out there that might work. CONGRATS to Marc though for coming up with this. I hope more folks report back on the results.

As merely a protective shield, I've found that a tape I use to protect bicycle frames work very well on raw brass, silver (and gold if needed). It's very thick and has a light adhesive. Cyclist use it on composite frames to protect against cable rub etc. I have a huge roll that I purchase for under $10 bucks at a bike shop. I have several horns in raw brass and you folks know what happens to that after a few years of use.

PS... I still have a bunch of little corks that I used on various places on the horn. You folks remember that phase?

Last edited: May 25, 2007
  8. RG111

RG111 Piano User

Nov 12, 2003
    I never heard of the corks thing! That's interesting.
    I hear you about the price, but to order the small set it was about $84. Less than going out to dinner with your spouse here in the DC area, and a lot less than new custom mouthpieces. :D

Roy

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Corks can make drastic changes in trumpets! For example, I fitted an untrimmed wine cork between the valve section and bell of my Scherzer piccolo to provide added dampening. I tried removing the resulting dent in the bell myself, only to pop the entire bell off (Quite a bit of tension in that horn!). A German Blechblasinstrumentenmachenmeister put it back together for me. It plays better now.

10. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    IN THE BELL especially. LOL BIG cork...

Roy, funny dinner comment. I grew up in Northern Virginia and lived in DC for many years. I bet the NYC folks have you beat though...