Marching and playing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Andrea6x8, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Andrea6x8

Andrea6x8 New Friend

Sep 20, 2014
    Hey guys I noticed that while in a concert setting or just regular playing my tone and overall playing ability is far greater than when I march. How do I keep the same playing ability while marching?

2. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Learn to walk very softly to avoid vibration to the horn and the embouchure. It's not easy, but it can be done.

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Do exactly what you are doing, but get a chair, sit down in it, and keep your feet flat on the ground without moving.

(Yes, this is a totally sarcastic post - I'm not, nor have I ever been, a fan of marching and playing.)

4. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    What kind of marching style is it? In high-step bands, the marching style almost [almost] necessitates pressure to keep the horn on the face, but in roll-step bands, the challenges are a little bit different

* I say almost because high-step, visually entertaining as it may seem, is not especially conducive to good sound. If you hold the horn firmly in front with a death grip on the valve block and close enough to your face to use slight pressure, it seems to work from my experience...

5. Hornlife98

Hornlife98 Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2014
    Tennessee
    Hey! I am new this forum, but I can provide a little bit of help (if you roll-step), since my season just ended...

1.Find a field, or mark five yards, and march eight steps to every five yards, with your horn firmly, but not detrimentally, in playing position. Do not play.
    2. Once you feel comfortable doing the above, play whole notes while marching eight steps to every five yards. Feel when your tone suffers, and correct by spreading the impact of your marching.
    3. March backward while playing whole notes.
    4. Slowly play what you must play while marching.
    5. Practice, practice, practice; the most experienced marchers still do these fundamentals.

Note: This advice only applies if you roll-step/

6. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I hated marching - I only did it out of loyalty to my community band as a schoolkid. Sure you can practice as variously advised above and you will improve, but so will your playing in a concert setting (which will then always be better than in your marching setting).

I think it's all down to control and breathing -- when you march your arms really want to swing to keep your torso stable, but you're holding a trumpet to your face... You want to control your breathing for the music, but you probably need to synchronise your breaths and steps somewhat to keep an even gait. I think I play best standing up, not sitting down (and certainly not marching) -- and this is to do with my playing posture, another factor. (Also, I hate playing those swing band numbers where the trumpets wave left and right, up and down, etc...)

(edit --) All this means I am particularly impressed by those bands and their players who can do an excellent job of sounding well while marching.

--bumblebee

7. Pinstriper

Pinstriper Mezzo Piano User

Nov 26, 2013
    Portlandia
    I believe this is the answer you are looking for. Note the lack of horn waving and other nonsense, and also the lack of the mostly superfluous third valve.

Interestingly enough, this also the answers the other thread about how a mellophone should be played/sound, and whether that has anything in the world to do with a freaking French horn. HINT: It does not.

8. Pinstriper

Nov 26, 2013
    Portlandia
    Ooops. I meant this. My bad.

9. Pinstriper

Nov 26, 2013
    Portlandia
    Dang. I keep messing up. I really meant this. Sorry.

bumblebee likes this.
  10. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I'll tell you what I did - I put the horn up to my face and didn't play.