Marching and playing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Andrea6x8, Nov 17, 2014.

1. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Q: "What if everybody did that?"

A: "I'd be a dang fool to do anything different then."

--bumblebee

(remembering Heller)

2. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    When it came to protecting my chops, I didn't give a rat's ass what everyone else did. Additionally, you couldn't audition for concert band unless you played in the marching band, and I resented the arm twisting so I wasn't going to give that marching band program one iota more than it gave me.

bumblebee likes this.
  3. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    If you can work out how to make the first and last parts of any physical movement smooth and slow without losing the required "snap" and maintain a sort of cushioned hold on your horn so as not to disturb your embouchure, you'll have the opportunity to benefit from the increased endurance, projection, and range that marching band offers. Also, if you memorize all the charts, you'll not have the bulk of a lyre and music to wrestle with, so you can concentrate on your movement and avoid collisions. Your only distraction will then be the majorettes, if any. ;-)

4. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Or the Drum Major, if you're a girl or so inclined. Got to watch out for those somersaults/backflips.

--bumblebee

5. warchantfan

warchantfan New Friend

May 15, 2014
    Starke, FL
    Keep your upper body as still or "quiet" as possible. Also, it takes a lot (and I mean a lot) of air to support your sound.