Marching band camp starts this week....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jurandr, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Jurandr

Jurandr Pianissimo User

Feb 23, 2008
    Illinois
    ... and I know for a fact that the vast majority of my section did not practice over the summer, or did not practice as much as they should have. Since I'm a senior this year I will be helping to lead the section and bring ideas to better us as a whole.

Over the past year the general policy was "if you didn't practice, this is probably gonna hurt" and immediately dig into our music, but I believe that kind of belief is more harmful than good. At the end of this week the entire band will be expected to play the music somewhat decently for parent night, as is always. So what can I do as a leader to bring those of us who did not practice up to speed quickly, efficiently, and most importantly safely?

2. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    Work on breathing and efficient air movement. The last band camp I worked for, they bought berps for the whole brass line. Breathing and buzzing did the trick in the sectionals I ran.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hey man, that is life. If you know whats coming and don't prepare, then YOU have a problem.

If the conductor has half a brain, they will not demand a blast attack, rather try to make music and let the volume go up as the week progresses. Blasting sounds like crap anyway and DOESN't carry as well outdoors as a well supported forte.

Start mezzo forte. Concentrate on marching, breathing, timing. Do not let ANYBODY try to knock walls down. Testosterone will be your enemy this week - especially if it is the band directors.

Make love not war! Music is love.

4. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    I am reminded of Clark Terry's remarks on this subject. His position has been that playing the trumpet and its attendant need to practice is like having a savings account at any bank. You can only withdraw,( play ), as much as you deposit,( practice ). Many of us are prone to try to overdraw our account far too often.

OLDLOU>>

5. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    So THAT'S what it's called when I crap out after 20 minutes! :-?

6. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I used to love marching band. I was a section leader. It wasn't as big a deal back then as it is now. I led by example. I knew my part and how to march. When people had questions I answered. I stayed after to help if people wanted.

Ill tell you what I hated, when a class mate yelled to make things happen. We had this color guard girl that had graduated and came back to help. She was screaming at the band while we marched. It didn't help and just made us all hate her.
    Good luck and most of all, HAVE FUN

7. Hoosier303

Hoosier303 Pianissimo User

Nov 2, 2008
    Indiana
    wow those were the good old days! Checking out all the new freshman talent!

8. trumpet_man

trumpet_man Piano User

Jan 17, 2008
    Wyoming
    Yeah, marching band camp starts eating away the end of my should-be summer next week. :thumbdown:

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Day one, dynamics -1 (ff=f, etc.); Day 2, dynamics +1 (ff=fff, etc.); following days dynamics as written; day before the show, dynamics -1.

Let them suffer some, and scope out the flute players.

Have fun!

10. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Well, looks like you're a few weeks late. Best section leader I ever had in high school organized 3 backyard rehearsals before band camp. Helped us bond and helped us to memorize our music before band camp even started.

For this week make sure everyone plays a lot, but don't let them beat up their faces too much. No need for fff anything at this point...