marching band/ crazy director

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpeterjake, May 20, 2013.

1. trumpeterjake

trumpeterjake Pianissimo User

Aug 5, 2012
    Connersville, Indiana
    I havn't been on this page for awhile as i'm a senior and i've had college stuff to take care of, but I have a importand question. Our new band director this year has decided to change the marching band camp schedule. He is considering doing 7 hours a day of solid playing for 2 weeks in July. We have a small band of 30 people and only 4 trumpet players (not including me as im graduating). Now according to the director this is enough time to get the show on the field, teach new players how to march and memorize the music AND that the intensive practice would make the players far better.

What worries me is that this man has been quoted saying things like this "a good trumpet player only needs 10 minutes to warm up jake, you just need more practice", "marching band is the best way to practice as its the hardest music to play", "playing a brass intrument is like running, if you play till your dead everyday you will double your endurance", "to play high notes you just push more and buzz faster" and my all time favorite "jake, im shocked you play on a 5c, you should be playing a 1c (bach) because that would make you play so much higher and make you sound way better".

I've taken a couple years of private lessons from a very tallented trumpet player and even though i'm still not that great, I am worried that this director will ruin the entire trumpet section. As some of them are already doing what he says, and to force 4 sophomore trumpets to play a lead part that they can barely get out for five+ hours at a time without giving them a break is not going to help them.

I told him (very very diplomaticaly) that maybe he should do 3 hour practices and include breaks where the trumpets dont HAVE to play for just a longer period of time. He laughed and told me I didn't learn something right if thats what I think would help, he said he would only consider if a skilled trumpet player backed me up on the issue, which according to him would never happen. Im just really worried about my section please help!

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  2. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    What instrument does he play? Obviously knows nothing about brass. If he tries that regime by the end of the first day the trumpets will be beaten, if they try the second day they will be unable to play at all by the third.

Perhaps he should be made aware that he will be held responsable for damage to the players chops.

Regards, Stuart.

3. trumpeterjake

Aug 5, 2012
    Connersville, Indiana
    He plays sax and according to him, was a "very gifted highschool player".

4. trumpeterjake

Aug 5, 2012
    Connersville, Indiana
    Oh he also doesn't have auditions and denotes a section leader from his own personal opinion. No chairs, no testing of actual skill...just wanted to toss that in too.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    There is no physiological reason to go from zero to seven hours of playing, no psychological reason other than brainwashing. I bet your football team isn't out in full pads seven hours a day! The show and music can be memorized without playing, the show itself is what, 15 minutes? Band camp is supposed to be a wonderful combination of work and fun, not a prison camp. Talk to your parents, your fellow trumpet players (and their parents) and your principal. Tell them that you can not, in good conscience, submit your section to torture, and if need be, simply don't go to band camp. It's kinda hard to have a marching band without trumpets.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    That's your problem. He has a huge ego and is trying to put his own fingerprint on the program. Is he fresh out of college? If not, there's little hope he'll change (and he's a sax player). He knows little about mpc's. Sounds like he's regurgitating something he heard from someone else who knows little too. "Screamer" mpc's get smaller, not bigger.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Suggest to him that he joins TM. We'll put him right. ;-)

8. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Do you think he would believe anybody? he seems to know everything already.....

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    When the school board can't afford to / or won't hire a better band director ... don't expect me to attend that band's performances. That's why I don't attend the county high school band performances here ... the director here is a Music Ed piano major working for the pittance and pay-off of their student loans offered by the Teachers For America program. Band Camp participation??? Competition? That would be a joke here! Upcoming County Memorial Day parade here ... do I expect them to participate ... I hope NOT! They did once under the former director ... and it was a disgrace IMO.

10. motteatoj

motteatoj Mezzo Forte User

Feb 23, 2013
    Tuckahoe, NY
    Push yourself, but not until you know you will get hurt...as a more senior player, do what you can to help the less experienced folks from breaking their faces and potentially doing a lot of harm...if things look dim, push back hard, if that doesn't work, go over his head........but give him a chance first, he may just be boasting/bluffing (although he doesn't seem to be filled with a lot of hot air, he's a sax player after all, not a trumpet player!)