marching band/ crazy director

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpeterjake, May 20, 2013.

1. BachStrad1

BachStrad1 Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2012
    Kalamazoo MI
    Jake, I would advise you to take your concerns and a copy of this thread to your principal, superintendant and/or school board. I applaud your concern for your friends who are still in the band. This individual does not seem to have any knowledge of the physical side of brass playing and seems to be more concerned with his own ego that with actually educating the band. A small program like that will wither under his regime and I'm sure parents will be peeved when their kids start collapsing. I agree that what he is proposing will do a great deal of damage to embrochures that he is not qualified to correct and could totally ruin some very promising trumpet players. You have here a great many adult trumpet players including professional players saying that his schedule is too demanding. That's what he said he wanted...give it to him.

2. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    I don't understand how someone gets to be a band director without having played or at least attempted to understand the challenges and idiosyncrasies of each instrument, but that's today's reality.

I had a director who was a sax player, and he said all he basically had to do was blow into the mouthpiece and press the keys. Obviously there's more to it than that, but we were discussing endurance, and I explained to him that when his reed gets worn, all he has to do is replace it. For brass players, it's a little harder to replace tired lips. He was open-minded enough to understand - up to a point. Before one concert I remember well, he ran us all through the entire show one too many times without an adequate break, and virtually everyone's performance suffered to a degree. The concert was OK, but it wasn't the perfection he was looking for; that was achieved in the final practice (which should have been the concert itself). That was the first concert that I'd been a part of that didn't receive a standing ovation at the end, and that was quite a personal disappointment.

I'm a firm believer that different instruments attract different personalities, and I have a book (misplaced, sorry) that was the result of a study that confirms this and has recommendations for directors and for parents of children who are musically inclined. Sax players have a different perspective than others, and whenever hubris becomes part of the picture, everyone suffers. I don't predict success for this director. Take care of your own needs and abilities first. I admire your concern for your fellow trumpet players, and I salute you for it.

Last edited: May 26, 2013
  3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    An IM dose of depo Thorazine should keep him believing... well at least through the summer.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    And don't forget that 1 hour of face time with the flute player behind the storage barn... got the blood circulating to them lips again...

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ahhhh.... PS: Don't tell your parents about this one.