Marching Band for Dummies - is that a book?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by HSOtrumpet1, Mar 10, 2009.

1. HSOtrumpet1

HSOtrumpet1 Pianissimo User

Nov 28, 2008
    Michigan
    I'll start this off by saying I REALLY don't want to march next year but my school will make me if I do band and not doing band is not a choice because it's a requirement for the orchestra I'm in right now. So, I need some help. I've honestly never seen a marching band perform other than in a parade. So I don't know how it works at a football game. I also don't understand football. I love sports, but football is one that I have never gotten into. Will I need to understand the game to understand when my band will play? Does the band always play at the same time? Is it hard to learn all of this stuff? Can anyone explain to me how a marching band operates?

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I think it is WRONG WRONG WRONG to MAKE a high school student HAVE to march.

WRONG WRONG WRONG!

Those band directors get ZERO respect from me.

3. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    cool man, i can tell you, after doing two years of it, your gonna have a blast, im not sure if you guys do track shows or feild shows or waht, but my suggestion would be to go to youtube and just watch some bands... its not all about the performances though, youll have the most fun out of any organization, the drama is at its finest and the freedom with your freinds is awesome. when we do marching, we go to the side of the field in the game and the director calls out what music to play on the fly, you dont need to know much to get it... i would encourage you to take this oppertunity up, cuz this is an activity that will teach you life skills and how to get to know your instrument more... enjoy! i remember not wanting to march, but after being forced into it, i realized it is what i needed to get in shape and get better...

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  4. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    oh, yea thats how it is for our band and im not a fan, but i already like it, but when i wanted out, they said i would have to be involved in some kind of sport...

5. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    You don't need to know anything about football...the band director, drum major (conductor) or section leaders will tell you when and what to play.

You'll probably get the music in plenty of time to memorize it.

If you can stand up straight, move your feel in time and stand in line with others, you'll do just fine! Marching band can actually be a lot of fun, believe it or not.

6. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    HSOtrumpet1,

I too will begin Marching Band as my first year, next year but as a senior! I did hear it was difficult the first year, but after that it's simply a piece of cake...

And I'm positive that you'll be taught EVERYTGHING you need to know! Just take a chill pill!;-)

7. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    It isn't always solely the directors decision. The district often mandates that the band have a marching band for football and local parades. Often, if it weren't required, it would be six clarinets, a sousaphone and 15 drummers. The larger the school and better the feeders, the easier it is to have a marching band without requiring it.

8. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    You'll learn it all at band camp.

I don't have the time now, but you can PM me if you want with some specific questions.
    I've been through 3 field seasons, and I'm starting my 4th parade season.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There is only one rule that you should never break: never play more loudly than good taste allows. Blasting outdoors is the easiest way to waste the face.

10. RX-2Fan

RX-2Fan Pianissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Tampa FL
    High School marching band is good fun. there is just the fact that you have to dedicate your time to the band. but the football games are always fun, because your having a good time with your friends. its also a good time to unleash on your horn and put lots of air behind it.

heres a vid
    YouTube - DCI 1988 Madison Scouts "Malaguena"