Marching Band for Dummies - is that a book?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by HSOtrumpet1, Mar 10, 2009.

1. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    Watch your back, you just posted a corps vid when referring to band.

Someone might get you...

:p

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Marching Band isn't about music--it is about getting dates!

3. TrumpetJ

TrumpetJ New Friend

Dec 28, 2008
    Knoxville,TN
    It's like blaspheme in the marching world to refer to a corps as a marching band lol. Marching band is really not that bad. I marched all 4 years in high school and am now marching in college. I liked/miss the competitions the most. Nothing like going out on a Saturday and laying it down in front of a crowd full of fellow band kids because the reactions you get definitely outwiegh those of a Friday night football game.

4. RX-2Fan

RX-2Fan Pianissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Tampa FL
    I was just basically trying to show a good example of what we do on the field, and i didnt think showing a high school would be as entertaining.

5. SilverHorn

SilverHorn Pianissimo User

Feb 2, 2009
    Alabama

When I was in High School, if you were in band you marched or you FAILED the class. The only exception to that, was if you played guitar, bass, or the drum set in the jazz band. The year after I graduated our band director decided to make the marching band voluntary, the band went from 215 players down to less than 100. 6 months later he was FIRED. Marching is easy man, nothin to it. go to YouTube and look at some marching bands. I marched all four years of High School and I was the Drum Major 3 of those 4.
    IMO those band directors who DON'T make their students march are LAME.
    Trust me when I say that you won't be the only rookie marcher on the field, but it's not hard.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  6. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    okay in ramsey we have to do marching band in order to do band so we have a lot of people in our band.

nd as for you HSOtrumpet1 as a freshman this year was my first year marching, i didnt want to do it at first but, not only was it a lot of fun, you become a part of a family of good kids too. secondly during band camp you learn the basics from the basic heel toe to the standard 8 steps in every five yards. its hard, but like others have said you wont be the only rookie out there on the field. after a while marching will become your life in a good sense. for example when walking in the cafeteria i use roll step.
    you might hate the fact of having to do marching band but afterwards you will love it and right now our marching season is over nd i miss it badly
    thirdly will your band be competing? mine competes in MAC and TOB chapter 10, if you do compete its great fun

7. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    if you do compete hopefully you will be in the same class as my band, we are in Class V for MAC and Class IV for TOB Chapter 10

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  8. guitmusic11

guitmusic11 New Friend

Mar 1, 2009
    Marching band a requirement for orchestra?? I think some of the strings might have trouble with that :p

9. SilverHorn

SilverHorn Pianissimo User

Feb 2, 2009
    Alabama
    Ummm I think he's meaning that band is a requirement for the orchestra he's in and the band director is requiring that he march also, which I think is fair.
    Hell I've been thinking of going to college and getting a degree in music just so I can play more :play:.

Marching Band.....where halftime IS game time! :thumbsup:

10. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Ahh, you just put a wheel on the cello endpin. Works like a charm!