Marching Band for Dummies - is that a book?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by HSOtrumpet1, Mar 10, 2009.

1. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Hey Chuck, don't beat around the bush - what do you REALLY mean? ;-)

2. gwie

gwie New Friend

Jan 7, 2009
    Marching band in *high school* is mostly a social activity. It's great for entertaining audiences, school spirit, exercise, bonding with long-term friends, going on fun trips, and decompressing from calculus, chemistry, and other academics.

It is not, and never will be, a place for musicians who want to seriously study the interpretation of music.

(I was very happily a member of my high school's marching band for four straight years)

3. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    Band camp... LOL.

Just don't ask the redhead where she puts her flute... on second thought, go right ahead.

"American Pie" is more relevant to marching band than "Drumline".

4. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY

I disagree. Our marching band is one of the best in the state, and twice has been proven one of the best of our size in the whole North East.
    We traditionally get near-perfect marks in the music caption. I find that marching drill makes the interpretation of the music all the more powerful.

I've never seen American Pie, but I find the Drumline is very relevant. It's just the Southern style of marching that's different than other styles. We actually had a drummer in our band that was one of the best we've ever had, but couldn't read music to save his life. He learned it all by sight and ear, and he and another great drummer (who went on to become drum major) ripped it up on the quints for a few years.

5. TrumpetJ

TrumpetJ New Friend

Dec 28, 2008
    Knoxville,TN
    While it represents a different style, it also represents a style that isn't widely practiced. Therefore, it gives people a false image of what the majority of the nation's marching bands. Yes there are many bands out there like Atlanta A&T, but most of them aren't even close to that style. I marched in a band that was very corps style, and we had one of those "Drumline" style show bands in our county so when we played them we were asked afterwards why we weren't more like them. Truth is, that movie gives a very false image of how most marching bands actually are.

6. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Yes...

And the science teachers that require science fair projects....

And the math teachers that require homework....

don't forget those pesky gym teachers that think everyone HAS to know how to play basketball....

And damn those colleges for requiring SAT's....

:-P

7. simonstl

simonstl Pianissimo User

Nov 25, 2008
    Dryden/Ithaca, NY
    The prospect of having to march was the other reason I abandoned band (and the trumpet) in high school. (The main reason was the combination of braces and too much pressure.)

Some of my friends liked it, others loathed it, but most of the folks who continued just kind of put up with it. I understand there's a long tradition of brass and marching, but while I enjoy listening to marches, I can't find any appeal in the idea of marching while playing.

8. tony h

tony h Pianissimo User

Feb 21, 2008
    Give it a go , I've made lots of friends in band through my teenage years , we had great trips , dont get me wrong it was hard work but that just united us even more . It really is a social club and music holds it all together .

9. mlockman

mlockman New Friend

Feb 21, 2004
    Pittsburgh
    We have 240 members in our marching band. The students absolutly love every minute of it. Give it a shot.

10. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    My question is....is your school a show band, or a marching band? This types are two way different kinds.

Show Band = ok fun

Marching a Show = fun fun fun fun, learning sets, horn manuels and such
    you'll have a blast, and you'll most likely get a colour guard chick :p