Marching band: How to assert my authority?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Aarix, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Aarix

Aarix New Friend

Dec 24, 2010
    sorry if this is off topic-ish, I didnt know where to put this:

OK, I'll be a senior and that mean i'll be 1st trumpet for marching season. I'll be heard, I'll be expected to lead and it feels like only yesterday I was a freshmen looking up to the seniors and always missing my places and getting corrected. Heres the problem, we have a small band, theres a horn player and a trombone player along side me. Usually 2 watch the other brass players and helping the, by judging them. The horn player, hes a glory-hog. Last year, he and the trombone argued with me about whose going to march along side the others. Based on my 6 years of marching, the trumpet has the highest priority in the brass section. It would always come to me getting humiliated and walk out of the field until the actual practice begins. What should I do this year? I refuse to be anything but the leader I am determined to be. Beside throwing them both off a cliff, any advice?

2. thatsmagic

thatsmagic New Friend

Jun 29, 2011
    Blighty
    Let your playing do the talking! :-)

3. Aarix

Aarix New Friend

Dec 24, 2010
    Believe me I do, My playing has been a lot clearer, a lot louder and a lot more louder in dynamics, however its not as loud as the horn players ego.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Who's in charge of the band? They should hand out leadership responsibilities. If it's you, then it's settled.

5. Aarix

Aarix New Friend

Dec 24, 2010
    Well theres no specific one in charge...we have our band director and a 1st chair for each instrument that leads their group. There are times we practice by instrument then there are times where its by brass and then woodwinds. The tradition is 2 to help a group since 3 feels too much so theres me as a trumpet, the horn (melophone) whose causing problems and the trombone who spends half the time inside dealing with uniforms in the AC.

6. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Play the best you can and lead by example. Arguing with others will never resolve anything. You would not be sensitive to the hornist's ego if yours wasn't also doing its thing. Think of yourself as a member of the team.

7. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    relax and have fun... you will have to learn to deal with people of all kinds of personalities as you grow up and become a productive member of society (get a job!).

You will never be a true leader if you get up and walk out when you don't get your way. It is a bit unclear here to me what you are saying happened....but it doesn't matter. You don't have to get your own way and "assert your authority" to be a good leader.

Look, you are usually going to be stuck with the people on your team (at school, work and life) that you don't like or have a hard time with. Your measure as a leader will come from how well you work together in a group of varied personalities to accomplish the mission of the group... NOT whether or not they bowed to your will just because the Earth did another circuit around the sun and you are a year older than last time.

8. Aarix

Aarix New Friend

Dec 24, 2010
    The situation kinda called for me to have walked away as I couldnt take the stress. The problem is im supposed to help but I always got shoved away and not just "usually" i mean always. I need to maintane and example up front to get their cooperation which is a big problem. Fact of the matter is, im expected to help amd I don't get the results I need when they only listen to the other 2. Someone was listening to musoc while in attention position and they wouldnt take them out.

9. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    You really need to use the chain-of-command and talk to the person in charge of the organization. I can understand your asking for advice although no one on TM knows what your particular situation is or that of the organization. The person in charge is the person to be asking these questions to. Good luck with it !

10. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Sounds like YOU think you have some mandate to be in charge, but no one else does.

Your power as a leader comes either from the respect and admiration of your peers, usually built by years of dedication, service and hard work... or by being appointed by the guy that is REALLY in charge to be his representative. (In your case, that would be the director)

You better have a meeting with the director and explain your frustration and he will set you straight about what your role and expectations should be. Live with it.

No one respects a guy that gets pissy and then leaves in a huff when things don't go his way.