Marching band: How to assert my authority?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Aarix, Apr 30, 2012.

1. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    If you lead as well as you spell, Aarix, you are in a heap of trouble. What others here are telling you is that your attitude stinks. Get off your high horse and have a talk with yourself. Because you are a senior doesn' t mean squat if you act like a spoiled child.

2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    I agree Veery. I am a high schooler, and personally I would not want to follow someone who cared this much about the spot.

C'mon! Your a trumpet, just play louder!

3. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Just because you lead doesn't mean you are a leader. I am band captain at my school (in our band I have all the power of a drum major but I don't conduct) and I earned it by leading when I could and held my tongue when things didn't go my way. It's just life. It has been shown through your stories that the hierarchy of leadership is already showing, which means it is too late for a hissy fit.

4. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    I agree, being a leader in name is quite worthless. You must earn respect and leadership, and if it has been assigned to you and there is not the proper cooperation you feel you should have, then that must be addressed with the director. If that does not resolve the problem, then I don't think you should continue to torture yourself, and maybe step down.

5. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    First, to my fellow forum members, my compliments. My reading comprehension is pretty good, and I'm afraid I can barely make heads of tails of what the OP is saying. My hat's off to those of you who clearly know what that convoluted first post means.

Next however, I disagree with those who are basically telling him to back off, and/or to first earn the leadership respect. It's not clear that he in fact, is not the person who should not be in charge. His authority just might be being undermined by lack of support by his band director. It seems to me that this band is leadership and communication challenged. Perhaps either the OP is somewhat clueless or the band director is ineffective in running a program with clear-cut lines of authority.

Aarix - What is the band's chain of authority from the band director down?

And, where is the band director when all of these conflicts involving you and the other brass players take place?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  6. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Nevermind

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 1, 2012
    tobylou8 likes this.
  8. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    The trumpet has no higher priority than any other instrument in the band. Everyone has a part to play. Play your part to the best of your ability. Learn your drill and get on with with being a team member.
    Any efforts other than the above will hinder the group's success. You will not last long in a non school band with this kind of attitude. Real bands consist of members that work together towards a common goal. That goal is to make music.