Marching Band Killed Me

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by degree210, Jun 7, 2012.

1. degree210

degree210 New Friend

Nov 23, 2008
    I have no idea what to do anymore, I have tried everything i can think of to make my problem go away, from different excersises I have done in the past to help with this with no luck...

After I marched in the Memorial Day Parade, my playing has never been the same, notes that I can usually just hit any time I want, won't come out. Notes like C, D, and E on the staff... It feels like I have lost all sense of control on my horn and my tone flexibilty are completely gone. I don't know what to do, I have pulled from flexibilty studies from the Arban's and books of the same, along with scales and mouthpiece buzzing. Just about everything I could think of I have tried with no success yet. :-(

However, my range is the same as it has always been... This is very discouraging to me and my practice, I have no idea what direction to go in. Any ideas? :dontknow:

2. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Long tones. Listen to your playing and feel your embouchure...Long tones.

3. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    I agree with long tones, but I might also add some simple hymns played softly. Please remember that soft playing can be your friend.

4. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Why don't you take a couple of days, or even a week, off? Seems like you might have over done things a bit. Do you have any pressing engagements that would keep you from giving your chops a rest?

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Deep brusing from bouncing trauma to the lip is another possibility. This will take 6 weeks to resolve on average.

6. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  7. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    This exercise has helped me immensely. I've been playing this way for over a year. I started it to get better endurance, but it has improved my sound and intonation as well. Whe I do it, I just let my cheeks puff out. Way out. Then I pull them in only using the muscles Rusty talks about in the post. I think it will help you find your embouchure again.

19/30s exercise explained - View topic: Trumpet Herald forum

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  8. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    I agree with taking a rest--at least a week then start back low, slow and soft. Don't force anything. Plenty of rest breaks when you are practicing.

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    lots of good advice --- MY experience teaches me that YOUR frustration will also hinder your recovery --- too much stress, and frustration will get in the way of long soft tones. I also discovered over the past 4 years, --- those times when I "did something" to my lips --- and the horn playing just sucks --- it is ALWAYS RECOVERABLE --- but pushing too much, too fast -- to get back EVERYTHING in 1 day -- will just set you back!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hope that helps.