Marching band music from movies/TV?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jolter, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Jolter

Jolter Piano User

Apr 1, 2009
    Sweden
    Hey,
    I'm thinking of spicing up my band's marching repertoire for next season. Does anyone here have any marching band arrangements of movie/TV themes? Looking primarily for geek-friendly stuff like sci-fi and fantasy etc, but I'm open to anything. =) Willing to put some effort into re-arranging if you'd happen to have something suitable for a different type of group.

Thanks!

2. Martin Williams

Martin Williams Mezzo Piano User

Apr 29, 2005
    Columbus, Oh-hi-uh
    Send me a PM and we can talk. I have a lot of things already and can easily write something up, I do a lot of playing a writing with marching ensembles :)

3. ricecakes230

ricecakes230 Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2013
    Texas
    Check out Box-Six.com, got some great shows there.

4. Jolter

Jolter Piano User

Apr 1, 2009
    Sweden
    Thanks for the tip! But not really what I'm looking for. Looks like they're catering more to the DCI crowd. We're a smallish band of amateurs (20-30 players), and we're not competing or anything. "No budget", I maybe should have mentioned...
    (BTW, we're not in North America.)

5. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    You mean Sweden's not in northeast America? Who'd'a known?

:D

6. Jolter

Jolter Piano User

Apr 1, 2009
    Sweden
    Yeah, I know, might seem obvious to some. ;) I didn't want to press the point, but the kind of High School and college bands that seem prolific in the U.S. (huge bands with brass & percussion only) don't really seem to exist in Europe. I think there is a small competitive scene, but it's mostly for "brass bands" in the British sense.
    There aren't often performances at sporting events, either (bands are too small to be heard in a football stadium). When Swedes see a marching band, it's usually in parades such as on First of May or National Day, and it's invariably a "concert band" instrumentation. Though lately, in some cities, there have surfaced Drum Corp type bands, with a percussion focus.

7. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Marching bands competitions do abound in Austria - I know, still far off Sweden, but still more manageable than the US. Look at the Wiener Blasmusikverband website - lots of info there.

8. RRVancil

RRVancil Piano User

Sep 24, 2009
    Littleton, Colorado
    Hi, Just thought of some arrangenents you can get very inexpensively , take a look at the Bill Moffet Soundpower series published by Hal Lenard.

Rick

9. Jolter

Jolter Piano User

Apr 1, 2009
    Sweden
    For the benefit of searchability, I'll post this here. I threw together a marching arrangement of The Throne Room (End Title) from Star Wars. Medium difficulty. The band played through it pretty well, but we haven't tried walking to it yet! :D

In case anyone is interested, send me a PM.

I'm interested in what people would think could be suitable TV/movie themes for marching repertoire. I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty and arrange something more. Obviously, John Williams wrote numerous good marches, but beyond that?

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I wish I could find more of the John Williams songs set as polkas. This parody is from SCTV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE1ODIkqSkA

They also turned music from Star Wars and Jaws into polkas.

Many famous marches have been set for piano, and if you have any orchestration abilities it is pretty to arrange them for whatever instruments you have at hand.

Sounds like a fun project for you.

Enjoy!