Marching Band Music

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ricecakes230, Jun 4, 2013.

1. ricecakes230

ricecakes230 Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2013
    Texas
    Hello fellow trumpets,
    I'm becoming a freshman in a marching band. I'm an 8th grader but that's gonna change in about a day. I will become apart of one of the best marching bands in Texas. Texas is also the state with the best class 5A marching bands by the way ;). I'm becoming apart of the Cy-Fair High School Marching Band. I cannot wait. I must earn a spot by memorizing Movement 1 of our show. Now the marching is going well, but I am not sure whats the best way to memorize the music. Music is simple, couple measures of rest and lots of long whole notes tied together. There's alot of dynamics and other details. I have till August so it's no rush but, tell me what's the best way to attack this and memorize the music in the most efficient and smart way. Thanks! :D

2. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Practice Lots.
    Play a few bars... Then do it without the music. Keep adding bars. Doesn't take too long.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Same way as learning scales. Over and over and over and over....again. Don't neglect the trumpeter's needful vitamins, though.

4. ricecakes230

ricecakes230 Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2013
    Texas
    Vitamins?

5. Vulgano Brother

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Long tones, flexibility studies, melodic studies, scales, tonguing.... Almost every serious trumpet on the planet owns the Arban book.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over

Take a Break and pee behind the bleachers then:

Over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Don't let Vulgano Brother fool you:

His vitamin has an A on the front side, and Wyeth 81 inscribed on the backside; Yeah... his own version of vitamin A.:-o

8. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Hey Ricecakes, you're in my area! I go to Sam. But for memorizing music, play it a few times, turn your music around and see if you got it. Start with one phrase at a time, then 2, then 3 and so on until you get the whole page down. Facetime and fingering along to the music will be your best friend. Here's a little secret, if you don't have it all memorized by camp, it isn't the end of the world. Just stay on top of it and you'll be fine.

9. Vulgano Brother

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Hah! APO C 1

10. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Do you have a recording to play along with? Once you are playing in context, you stop thinking about the notes. The music sounds incomplete without your part. It becomes like you're humming along to the music. There is no effort, and it is thoughtless.