Marching Band Shoe

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by F.E.Olds, Aug 29, 2010.

1. F.E.Olds

F.E.Olds Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2010
    Hello- I am hoping that this topic is welcomed. I am not really sure where else I could ask it. I am in the market to get myself my own pair of shoes for marching and I was wondering if anyone would happen to know which one of the shoe companies is still making shoes here in the USA.

Thanks,

Patrick

2. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
  3. F.E.Olds

F.E.Olds Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2010
    Are the current ones manufactured in USA? That's my requirement.

4. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
    Every band I know uses Dinkles marching shoes, and they are made in PA.

5. F.E.Olds

F.E.Olds Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2010
    The new dinkles at school are Made in China.

6. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    hmmm... well... i guess i dunno off the top of my head. ill take a look at school tommorow and see if the drillmasters are made in the usa, also? drill masters were used by blue devils (grand champions) just thought id send that plug lol, i really think theyre nice. also, if you wanted to email the maker of the drill masters, im sure he could tell you the place of production.

7. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
  8. F.E.Olds

F.E.Olds Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2010
    Well I'll go with Dinkles I guess. I think my school has the economy ones so that is probably why

9. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    You might try US military shoes, they tend to be made in the US. Comfortable, I dunno, they probably will need some break-in. I have some US military jump boots I'd march in all day, but I doubt they'd be in uniform for a marching band. You need to look at "class A" shoes.

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    In "history" many of the U.S. military shoes were made in Federal prisons by inmates. Now they are provided by the lowest bidder meeting specifications. There use to be a buy America Act application but there are so many exceptions to it that it is now all but worthless. What still exists is the U.S. law requiring impressed mark of the country of origin on all products.

As for the military Class A oxford, some wearers have no problem and some do ... the latter extremely so. Military supply doesn't regularly stock a quad E sole with b heel or sizes larger than 14. IMO these were never designed for street marching or comfort in walking or standing on paved surfaces as "management" of the military services AND public safety officers are mandated to wear for appearance with "high shine". None were designed for band use. IMO, I would not want to wear a rubber soled shoe 8 hours a day! There would be no difference in the effect than If I were wearing gum boots ... my feet would perspire excessively and I would be exhausted. I wore a double leather sole with a "Cat's Paw" brand rubber heel with the abrasive insert and I wore a white absorbent white cotton sock beneath the specified dress black sock, and spent my 8 hours on streets, vinyl tiles, ceramic or quarried stone flooring about equally and both wet and dry and possibly just wax shined. Really, management would not have been concerned were it be required I deploy into hazardous area with the same military styled oxford shoe.

But when it comes to bands, the specification of shoe by school/band management could hold such school administration / band management liable in recourse for any foot problems encountered wearing such shoes.